Mac OS 9 Connections CD Images Won't Mount

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

mrcow
Space Cadet

Mac OS 9 Connections CD Images Won't Mount

Post by mrcow »

Downloaded Connections CD 1 and 2 from Macintosh Garden (https://macintoshgarden.org/games/connections) also tried other main repository, forgetting its name.

I can't mount either CD image in toast -- couldn't complete the last command because there was an I/O error. Result code = -36.

I can't mount either CD image from the volumes list in the sheepshaver GUI -- nothing happens. No CDs are mounted when I boot up.

I tried locking the files from Finder. That changed nothing.

I can't mount either CD image in Virtual CD/DVD-ROM Utility -- there are insufficient system resources to mount this image.

Any ideas? Has anyone gotten Connections to run successfully on Mac OS 9.0.4 (or other versions of 9)?

Has anyone gotten Connections to run in any way on SheepShaver?
mrcow
Space Cadet

Re: Mac OS 9 Connections CD Images Won't Mount

Post by mrcow »

I went and created and installed 7.6, and managed to mount the images by the SheepShaverGUI menu. The game started, but any animation instantly crashed SS.

Then, I took what I learned, and managed to make the images mount from the SheepShaverGUI menu alongside my 9.0.4 disk/image/OS. There is some crazy thing in Windows 10 where the SheepShaverGUI.exe that you load from the Start menu is NOT the same as the SheepShaverGUI.exe that you load from Windows Explorer. How bizarre.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

mrcow wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:55 pm I went and created and installed 7.6, and managed to mount the images by the SheepShaverGUI menu. The game started, but any animation instantly crashed SS.

Then, I took what I learned, and managed to make the images mount from the SheepShaverGUI menu alongside my 9.0.4 disk/image/OS. There is some crazy thing in Windows 10 where the SheepShaverGUI.exe that you load from the Start menu is NOT the same as the SheepShaverGUI.exe that you load from Windows Explorer. How bizarre.
Where are you getting your copy of SheepShaver from?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

You might check where the entry in your start menu is actually pointing to. Is it pointing to the GUI in a old SheepShaver folder?
I have no recollection of any SheepShaver package containing an installer that would put an entry in the start menu. Did you put it there yourself?

If you are now using the september 2020 download, you might update the start menu entry.
Or, if things work to your satisfaction from the SheepShaver folder remove the entry in the start menu completely.

The Connect_1 and Connect_2 isos are working fine with my SheepShaver OS9 installation on my Windows system. I just add them as second and third entries in the volumes list.
How did you unpack them? I see the first one is a zip file containing a 7zip file so I had to unpack it twice.

Best,
Cat_7
fiveipads
Space Cadet

Post by fiveipads »

I have no idea what I'm doing in general, but I somehow stumbled to the point where I am having this same issue with trying to run Creatures on Sheepshaver. I am using the Columbia download. The folder appears to be correct(?).
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Cat_7 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:07 am You might check where the entry in your start menu is actually pointing to. Is it pointing to the GUI in a old SheepShaver folder?
I have no recollection of any SheepShaver package containing an installer that would put an entry in the start menu. Did you put it there yourself?
If I remember correctly, my MacOS9 for Windows package puts an entry on the start menu. But that entry points to a compiled AutoIt script that launches the program. My page about the system says this:
You may use the supplied SheepShaverGUI app (in the Programs folder inside the MacOS9 folder) to modify the system, but the file transfer and printing features will only work if you launch the MacOS9 app from the MacOS9 desktop icon or the MacOS9.exe program inside the MacOS9 folder! If you launch SheepShaver from the SheepShaverGUI, you may get error messages about the file transfer system; if this occurs, shut down SheepShaver and relaunch the MacOS9 icon or MacOS9.exe program.
I should probably add a paragraph about adding CD images via the GUI. I'll try to get around to that soon.