Sheepshaver and Big Sur

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

debenriver
Student Driver

Sheepshaver and Big Sur

Post by debenriver »

I recently upgraded to Big Sur and my Sheepshaver won't open any more.

I have version 2.5 22 Sep 2020, which I think is the latest build.

I tried downloading a new version and replacing the existing app – and the system did ask me if I wanted to open it (because it was downloaded from the internet etc). Usually, if this happens and I say yes to open, and then go to security in System Preferences, I can open a downloaded program – but not this time.

Is this a Big Sur security problem – or will there have to be a new version build for Big Sur - or is there something else I need to do?

Many thanks

George
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Sheepshaver and Big Sur

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Others reported that SheepShaver runs fine in Big Sur. Not sure what your issue could be.
Why would you have to go to Security in System Preferences? It should not be needed as SheepShaver is notarized, at least not when the option is set to allow apps downloaded from both App Store and identified developers. Which is the option set in System Preferences > Security?
debenriver
Student Driver

Post by debenriver »

My security settings are 'App store and identified developers' – so it shouldn't be a problem.

Actually I didn't HAVE to go to Security now I come to think of it. It just told me that Sheepshaver was downloaded from the internet and did I want to open it. Which I clicked OK. But it didn't load, so then I looked at Security – I test beta versions of some programs between the authorized versions, so I do get used to doing that.

I have to say I am puzzled! And I wish I could solve the problem ...

I am an experienced mac user – actually back to Apple II's in fact. And I have had Sheepshaver pretty much since the mac went to the Intel chip.

Cheers -- George
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

There are two possible reasons for SheepShaver not working that I can think of at this stage.

1. How did you do the macOS upgrade?
If you did the upgrade in place, over the previous macOS version, without changing or moving anything else, I would expect SheepShaver to continue working as before. If you did the upgrade in a different way, you may need to do the configuration from scratch. You can check if the configuration is still intact by opening your ~/.sheepshaver_prefs file in a text editor and see if all paths to the needed files (especially the rom file) are still correct.

2. How did you install the new SheepShaver build?
If you downloaded and/or expanded the zip file directly into the SheepShaver folder, SheepShaver will not run because of a macOS security feature (introduced in macOS 10.12 Sierra).
The archive should first be downloaded and expanded in a different location (by default in the Downloads folder) and then the application can be moved in the Finder into the SheepShaver folder.
debenriver
Student Driver

Post by debenriver »

Ok - fixed

Safari was opening the zip file automatically in Downloads – but perhaps it was automatically updating the app in my Sheepshaver folder?? Anyway, I was dragging the opened app from Downloads to my Sheepshaver folder.

I changed Safari preferences so that it did not automatically unpack a zip file etc. Downloaded a new zip, moved it to my desktop and unzipped there, which gave me the app and still left the zip file. Dragged the manually unzipped app to my Sheepshaver folder and it all works perfectly :mrgreen:

Thank you very much for your help – it was the suggestion that the zip mustn't unpack directly in the Sheepshaver folder that prompted me to make 100% sure it didn't.

Cheers -- George
LazarusNine
Space Cadet

Post by LazarusNine »

debenriver wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:56 pmI changed Safari preferences so that it did not automatically unpack a zip file etc. Downloaded a new zip, moved it to my desktop and unzipped there, which gave me the app and still left the zip file. Dragged the manually unzipped app to my Sheepshaver folder and it all works perfectly
I just wanted to thank you for this solution. I was running into the same problem with Safari automatically extracting the file in the Downloads folder. When copying the app to the Sheepshaver folder, it wouldn't launch. Your solution works perfectly, and I would imagine it's also the method that may solve some of the similar threads specific to M1 Mac users (I happen to be on an M1 Mac as well). Thanks again!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

One should always disable the default 'Open "safe" files after downloading' in Safari preferences. The setting is probably intended for convenience but many consider it to be not safe.