SheepShaver Mystery Crash on Launch

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Calymbus
Student Driver

SheepShaver Mystery Crash on Launch

Post by Calymbus »

I have been using SheepShaver every day for years, but on 29th January 2021 without warning it suddenly stopped launching. Naturally, I've looked for what's changed, but have drawn a blank. I'm running macOS Sierra 10.12.6, & I don't allow system updates (apart from manually, of course). My version of SheepShaver was 2.4 (but see below).

The symptoms are that when I attempt to launch SheepShaver, a random Finder Window comes to the front (i.e., whichever one had focus) & there's no sign of the app or of it attempting to launch. That looks to me like an instant crash.

What I've done so far to try to get things working:
I've checked all the files are in the usual places, & used Time Machine to replace those modified recently with backups from well before the problem.
I've looked for other people having the same problem (I may well have missed them if they have!).
When none of that worked, I downloaded SheepShaver 2.5 (the version for Sierra, etc.) & told Security preferences to let me launch it. But it's exactly the same: SOMETHING happens in the blink of an eye, but it isn't a launch, & yet it doesn't look like anything unusual.

If I had to guess, I'd say something must have changed somewhere in my System which seems to affect only SheepShaver, but I can't think what, since I didn't order any modifications…

Any ideas?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: SheepShaver Mystery Crash on Launch

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Please show us the content of your prefs file, so we can see if there is anything unusual about your setup:

Launch Terminal (in /Application/Utilities/) and type at the prompt

Code: Select all

open ~/.sheepshaver_prefs
followed by a return.
The file will open in your default text editor. Select all content and copy and paste it here in your reply.
Calymbus
Student Driver

Post by Calymbus »

Thanks! Here goes:

disk OS9.img
disk New.dsk
cdrom /dev/disk5
extfs /Downloads ƒ/Emulation/Classic/SheepShaver_UB_20120715/Shared
screen win/1024/768
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem
serialb /dev/null
rom Mac OS ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 536870912
frameskip 0
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
ignoreillegal false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
ether slirp
keycodes true
keycodefile keycodes
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

What you describe about Finder windows opening instead of SheepShaver launching seems weird and I cannot see how that would relate to SheepShaver itself. Could it be an issue with the mouse not registering all clicks?

Assuming that all files (rom file, disk images, keycodes) are in the SheepShaver folder together with the SheepShaver application, I do not see anything in your settings that could explain why SheepShaver would crash or quit on launch.

Did you replace the older SheepShaver application with the Version 2.5, 4 May 2019 build?

Then try this:

- Copy the SheepShaver application (only the app itself) to a different location, like your desktop.
- Trash the application from the SheepShaver folder.
- Move the copy back into the SheepShaver folder.

Note 1:
You do not need to go to Security preferences to allow opening the application for the first time. Use a right-click (or control-click) on the application icon and choose Open from the contextual menu. After that you should be able to open the application normally by double-clicking.

Note 2:
You use the keycodes file. When you use the newer 2.5 version SheepShaver build, you will also need to replace the keycodes file with the newer one: http://ronaldpr.home.xs4all.nl/sheepsha ... ycodes.zip
Calymbus
Student Driver

Post by Calymbus »

I thought I'd posted this last night, but since it's not here I must have pressed 'Preview' instead of 'Submit'… or something. Apologies for that.

PREVIOUSLY:

Wait… update.

I decided to give it one last go just before shutting down for the night, & got the standard system message that it couldn't be opened since it was from an unidentified developer. So I went to System Preferences & checked "open it anyway". I got the "unidentified developer" error AGAIN, but this time when I cleared it, SheepShaver actually opened.

This is very strange. As I understand it, you get asked JUST ONCE if you want to open a new app from an unidentified developer, & after that it will always open if you've said 'yes'. So how, after I'd okayed it the first time, did it come to ask me again? (Not to mention the third time!)

If this is some system security glitch to do with identifying applications, then it (probably) isn't a SheepShaver issue. But it's very mysterious…

To be clear, during the couple of days this glitch prevented me from opening SheepShaver, only SheepShaver was affected; all my other apps were working as normal. But now the glitch seems to have gone, as mysteriously as it appeared. I really don't know what to make of it all! I enjoy solving riddles as much as the next person, but when a riddle presents itself & then just goes away without a solution… that's disconcerting.

Thanks for your notes, & for all your help. I've downloaded your new keycodes, & will install them right away.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The preferred way to open an application from an unidentified developer the first time is to use right-click (or control-click) and open from the contextual menu.

Yes, this should only be needed once.

Can you now open the application normally?
Calymbus
Student Driver

Post by Calymbus »

Yes — although with this new version, the text is a bit blurry (anti-aliasing, no doubt) & the cursor is jerky. I'm sure that should be easy enough to sort out, if I can remember how!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Have a look at the setup manual.
For these issues specifically see the "advanced features" section: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... uilds_only

If you want the cursor to behave as before, enable the hardware cursor.
If your Mac has a Retina screen, you may also want to change the scaling algorithm.

You will need to edit the prefs file manually in a text editor.
For the hardware cursor, add the line:

hardcursor true
For display on a Retina screen, add the lines:

scale_integer true
scale_nearest true
The new SheepShaver build may have added one or more of these lines already, set to the default "false".
See if the lines already exist with "false", in that case change "false" to "true"
If the lines do not yet exist, add them at the bottom.
WizKid
Tinkerer

Post by WizKid »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:49 pm For the hardware cursor, add the line:

hardcursor true
For display on a Retina screen, add the lines:

scale_integer true
scale_nearest true
The new SheepShaver build may have added one or more of these lines already, set to the default "false".
See if the lines already exist with "false", in that case change "false" to "true"
If the lines do not yet exist, add them at the bottom.
Does this also apply to the newest Basilisk II build?

And how such a setting look on a non-retina display (eg external monitor)?
Calymbus
Student Driver

Post by Calymbus »

Wow — that is really helpful!
I've implemented your suggestions, & they do make a difference. Thanks!
(Obviously I wouldn't have been able to remember what it turns out I never knew!)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

WizKid wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:17 pmDoes this also apply to the newest Basilisk II build?
Some, yes. See the revised BasiliskII setup manual: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ba ... uilds_only
And how such a setting look on a non-retina display (eg external monitor)?
You can try, but the changed scaling algorithms are intended for Retina screens and generally do not look nice on non-Retina screens.