Game freezing upon opening?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Lovenu
Space Cadet

Game freezing upon opening?

Post by Lovenu »

Hi! I recently installed sheepshaver while feeling nostalgic for jumpstart games and managed to get the emulator itself working just fine. However I really wanted to play a game called Jumpstart Adventures 3rd Grade (downloaded it from here) but every time I try to open the mounted disk image on the sheepshaver desktop, it opens but completely freezes on the first frame (the game's logo animation).

I've been trying to mess around with graphics and video settings to see if maybe it's related to that? But so far nothing works.

I am running sheepshaver (Version 2.5, 64-bit Intel, notarized) on my macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Here are my sheepshaver prefs:

disk MacOS9
cdrom /dev/poll/cdrom
cdrom /Users/emma/Desktop/Games/Old Mac Games/JumpStart 3rd Grade.iso
extfs /Users/emma/Desktop/Games/Old Mac Games/SheepShared
screen win/800/600
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala
serialb /dev/null
rom Mac OS ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 268435456
frameskip 0
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
ignoreillegal false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
hardcursor false
hotkey 0
scale_nearest false
scale_integer false
cpuclock 0
yearofs 0
dayofs 0
mag_rate 0
swap_opt_cmd false
ether
keycodes false
keycodefile
mousewheelmode 0
mousewheellines 1
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
idlewait true

P.S.
I also tried to play this game using the Basilisk II emulator, but the animations were too fast to the point of being unplayable.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Game freezing upon opening?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

With the very same settings in SheepShaver preferences the game starts fine here.
That is on the 10 February 2021 build. Is that the build you use? (Builds are defined by the date rather than the version number.)

Did you install MacOS 9.0.4 yourself onto the MacOS9 volume as described in our setup manual?
Lovenu
Space Cadet

Post by Lovenu »

Yeah, I'm using the latest version that was listed (February 10, 2021)

And yes, I installed Mac within the emulator as well like the setup mentioned.

Also, after making this post, I downloaded another Jumpstart game to see if any of the others worked (same game requirements), "JumpStart Adventures 4th Grade: Haunted Island" and it worked just fine (both games use the same pre-rendered cgi logo too).

I was wondering if maybe it was something related to the animation styles (3rd grade uses 2D animation while 4th grade is mostly 3D animation), but I'm not sure.

But yeah, every time I've tried, it's just shown this one still image while the audio for the logo plays, and then nothing happens. It doesn't go to the next screen or the intro cutscene or anything and once the audio for the logo is over, it stops. Here's a screenshot I took just now:

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Lovenu wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:01 amI was wondering if maybe it was something related to the animation styles (3rd grade uses 2D animation while 4th grade is mostly 3D animation), but I'm not sure.
Then I would rather expect 4th grade to not run properly because SheepShaver does not emulate graphical hardware needed for true 3D.

I am sorry, I have absolutely no idea why he game would freeze after the intro at your side.

I have several SheepShaver setups for testing purposes and Jumpstart Adventures 3rd Grade runs fine on all of them.

Maybe something wrong with the .iso file? Try downloading again from Macintosh Garden.
Lovenu
Space Cadet

Post by Lovenu »

I tried downloading it separately three times, but I still got the same result. I'm really baffled... I don't know if this info helps, but I forgot to mention. When it gets stuck on that screen, I'm still able to go to the top bar and quit the game or mess with the applications at the bottom, so the emulator doesn't freeze, just the game.

If it keeps doing this, I might try QEMU. It technically ran on Basilisk II, like the game opened and let me type my name, but the animations for the minigames went so fast I couldn't even react in time.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Lovenu wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:17 pm I tried downloading it separately three times, but I still got the same result. I'm really baffled... I don't know if this info helps, but I forgot to mention. When it gets stuck on that screen, I'm still able to go to the top bar and quit the game or mess with the applications at the bottom, so the emulator doesn't freeze, just the game.

If it keeps doing this, I might try QEMU. It technically ran on Basilisk II, like the game opened and let me type my name, but the animations for the minigames went so fast I couldn't even react in time.
You may want to try it under Mini vMac if it ran under Basilisk II but ran fast. Mini vMac lets you control the speed.
Lovenu
Space Cadet

Post by Lovenu »

Just installed Mini vMac and tried it through that, but every time I try to mount the .iso file directly into the emulator, it says the CD is write-protected. When I tried to do the ImportFl method to get around that like the instructions said (using a blank mounted image, trying to import it into the mounted image through ImportFl), every attempt claimed that the disk was "too full" despite being empty.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

For a discussion about the use of the game in Mini vMac, please start a topic in the "Mini vMac and Other Mac Emulators" forum.