Beginner

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Gus3049
Space Cadet

Beginner

Post by Gus3049 »

Hi all,

I have just set up MacOs9 on my iMac running High Sierra and it runs fine. I have a load of old system 9 games but for the life of me can't see how to load them onto the emulator!

Help please!

Thanks
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Beginner

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Depends where and how you have the games. Are they on CD's? Are they archived? In which format? On what kind of disk?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

If you (the original poster) are referring to the pre-built MacOS9 system downloadable from a page at www.columbia.edu, then you can find very detailed instructions on the page with the download link. (Forum rules forbid me to link to that page directly.)

If you're not using that system, then ignore this message.
THEDOCTOR
Space Cadet

Post by THEDOCTOR »

I, too, am lost. Installation was "easy" just a bit scary.
I have a handful of applications I want to transfer, nothing fancy, but really useful.
The Sys 9 GUI works seamlessly. What I have is an actual iMac, and discs, and that is where it ends.
Would like to put apps on the disc, and just pop them into the external DVD/CD drive, have them show up, and then either work from the disc, or transfer into SheepShaver.
Tried making a copy on the Windows 10 machine, but it did not copy the application. The ancillary files showed up, but the application did not (it shows zero bytes).
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

THEDOCTOR wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:13 pm I, too, am lost. Installation was "easy" just a bit scary.
I have a handful of applications I want to transfer, nothing fancy, but really useful.
The Sys 9 GUI works seamlessly. What I have is an actual iMac, and discs, and that is where it ends.
Would like to put apps on the disc, and just pop them into the external DVD/CD drive, have them show up, and then either work from the disc, or transfer into SheepShaver.
Tried making a copy on the Windows 10 machine, but it did not copy the application. The ancillary files showed up, but the application did not (it shows zero bytes).
Just to clarify: you've got an old CRT iMac and some CDs, and you'd like to play the CDs you play on that iMac in SheepShaver on your Win10 machine?

Or are you attempting to write files to disc and open those up on your Win10 machine inside SheepShaver?

You've got two approaches to the second: one is to use Toast on the iMac to write HFS CDs, and insert the CD while SheepShaver is running to have it auto-mount on the SheepShaver desktop. This may or may not work.

The other approach is to compress everything (with DropStuff) you stick on the CD and write it as ISO9660/Joliet, so that Win10 can read it, and you don't lose the resource forks. Then you can copy the files to your shared folder on Win10, and they should be available from the SheepShaver desktop when you run it. Then you'll need to copy the compressed archives on to SheepShaver's disk image, and use an unarchiving program (Stuffit Expander most likely) to expand the files to the state they were in on the iMac.

I did the second method for years, downloading files from the Internet on a Windows machine and loading them on a Mac, but the process should be the same going both ways.