Desktop save location

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Desktop save location

Post by starfiretbt »

When I extract a cd, floppy, sit, or any compressed file onto sheepshaver's emulated desktop where does that data store to? The reason I ask is I am finding that my volumes fill up really quickly in sheepshaver (maybe it's because they have a limit of 2GB, or because games for PPC are larger) so as I learned with Rebel Assault (which filled up a volume I think about 25%) it might be easier to keep the file in it's compressed form and just extract it into cd form and run it like I was putting in a cd into the computer.
But if I'm going to do that when I extract to the emulated mac desktop where is that stored? Is it the volume I have my OS installed on?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Desktop save location

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Well, it depends. It will usually be extracted to the desktop of the boot volume, but not necessarily.

Note that in classic MacOS each mounted volume has its own desktop, in fact a hidden folder "Desktop Folder". What you see is on the desktop is the combination of the desktops of all mounted volumes. When you remove a mounted volume, its desktop items will disappear from the desktop.

You can add more volumes in SheepShaver. The best way to control what is where, is to extract files not to the desktop, but to a disk. If you then drag the files from that disk onto the desktop, the files will be on the desktop of that disk.

If too many files are on the desktop of your boot disk, you can drag these from the desktop to another disk. That way they will be copied to that disk and you can then trash the files on the desktop.
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Re: Desktop save location

Post by starfiretbt »

Ok, I understand. Thank you.