Cannot map ROM: No error

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

lemonish
Space Cadet

Cannot map ROM: No error

Post by lemonish »

Whenever I attempt to open SheepShaver, it produces an error stating "Cannot map ROM: No error." and then does not start.
I assume this has something to do with the selected ROM file, but I wouldn't know exactly what since I have not modified it since setting up SheepShaver and it has worked perfectly fine before today.
I have also tried starting the emulator at different RAM sizes, but still to no success.
Any ideas on what to do to fix this?
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Cannot map ROM: No error

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

This is a nasty little error. You can restart your machine, and check whether you might have some programs running you could close before starting SheepShaver.
Which version are you running?

Best,
Cat_7
lemonish
Space Cadet

Post by lemonish »

Cat_7 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:25 pm Hi,

This is a nasty little error. You can restart your machine, and check whether you might have some programs running you could close before starting SheepShaver.

Best,
Cat_7
Restarting the machine worked! Curiously, terminating all other programs before starting it did not work pre-reboot, but post-reboot it now works alongside the processes that it usually should and none need to be terminated.
I am running version 2.5.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

lemonish wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:43 pm
Cat_7 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:25 pm Hi,

Best,
Cat_7
Restarting the machine worked! Curiously, terminating all other programs before starting it did not work pre-reboot, but post-reboot it now works alongside the processes that it usually should and none need to be terminated.
I am running version 2.5.
Yeah; it tries to load the ROM into memory that another program is already using. Rebooting usually clears that memory space, so SheepShaver can claim it. After it's claimed the space, other programs can load anywhere they like, since that space is already reserved.