How to display Chinese correctly on UNIX disk when Chinese MacOSX 10.9 runs sheepshaver Chinese version macos9.0?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: How to display Chinese correctly on UNIX disk when Chinese MacOSX 10.9 runs sheepshaver Chinese version macos9.0?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Maybe you should explain more about your setup. What has a NTFS disk to do with the Unix/shared folder feature in OSX?

Do you use a NTFS disk that is mounted in OSX (or folder on it) as shared folder for SheepShaver OSX?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: How to display Chinese correctly on UNIX disk when Chinese MacOSX 10.9 runs sheepshaver Chinese version macos9.0?

shelsm wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:39 amIt is strange that sheepshaver under windows can mount NTFS disk correctly and display Chinese characters.
I am quite sure that NTFS disks cannot be "mounted" in SheepShaver for Windows. I suppose a NTFS disk can be accessed through "My Computer".

The Unix/shared folder in SheepShaver for OSX/macOS is designed to work with HFS+ and APFS file systems. It is not surprising that it does not work correctly with NTFS disks. It is remarkable that it works at all.
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:01 am Maybe you should explain more about your setup. What has a NTFS disk to do with the Unix/shared folder feature in OSX?

Do you use a NTFS disk that is mounted in OSX (or folder on it) as shared folder for SheepShaver OSX?
What I said is that sheepshaver for windows can correctly recognize the Chinese file name in NTFS drive under win7, but I lack HFS attribute, so I can't correctly recognize the file type. But in MacOSX, sheepshaver for MACOSX can correctly identify the file type of applefile in UNIX, such as .EPS / .qxd / .PSD and other files, and can open normally, and can also display icon of the file
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Please be more clear about your setup, because I still do not understand.

What is the location of the shared folder of which the content is shown in "Unix" in SheepShaver?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Here's what I *think* I'm understanding from what I've seen in this thread so far. Likely, I've got some bits wrong, so please correct.

Host: Windows 10 Chinese
Shared folder: on NTFS partition
SheepShaver: Mac OS 9.0 Chinese
Shared folder: Displays Chinese text correctly, doesn't pick up file type and creator

Host: Mac OS X 10.9 Chinese
Shared folder: on HFS+ partition
SheepShaver: Mac OS 9.0 Chinese (same as above)
UNIX folder: Displays garbled text, picks up correct file type and creator

Is this correct?
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:07 am Please be more clear about your setup, because I still do not understand.

What is the location of the shared folder of which the content is shown in "Unix" in SheepShaver?
OK, let me start with the first question. In MacOSX, the UNIX path displayed by sheepshaver, whether it is the local disk of MacOSX or the network shared folder connected by MacOSX, will display garbled Chinese file names.
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:07 am Please be more clear about your setup, because I still do not understand.

The second problem is that I have another sheepshaver in win7 The computer icon that displays the local disk can be used to correctly identify the Chinese file name on the disk. However, the file attributes are lost, and there is no associated opening method. For example, EPS created by Photoshop and qxd document created by quarkpress cannot be recognized by macos9, indicating that the application that created the file cannot be found. At the same time, the original thumbnail of the file cannot be displayed.
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

adespoton wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:01 pm Here's what I *think* I'm understanding from what I've seen in this thread so far. Likely, I've got some bits wrong, so please correct.

Shared folder: Displays Chinese text correctly, doesn't pick up file type and creator

Is this correct?
Yes, you are right about both. I run sheepshaver on windows and MacOSX respectively, so I find these two problems.
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

adespoton wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:01 pm Here's what I *think* I'm understanding from what I've seen in this thread so far. Likely, I've got some bits wrong, so please correct.

Is this correct?
Now as long as one of the problems can be solved, I can use it normally. Because my documents are all macos9 created by quarkexpress and Photoshop EPS documents for printing purposes.
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Is this correct?
Another special solution is to repair the AFP connection speed of sheepshaver. At present, the fastest LAN connection speed can only reach 1 ~ 2Mb / s
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

OK, now I think I understand.

1. When the external file system feature in SheepShaver for Windows is used (My Computer icon), Chinese characters in file names are displayed correctly on the SheepShaver side, but classic Mac file attributes are lost. As far as I can imagine, there is no solution for that.

2. When the external file system feature in SheepShaver for OSX/macOS is used ("Unix" disk), the classic Mac file attributes are preserved but the Chinese characters in file names are not displayed correctly on the SheepShaver side. This also happens when the Unix shared folder is on a local HFS+ disk. When the files are copied on the OSX side to a disk image and that image is mounted in SheepShaver, the Chinese file names are displayed correctly. So it is no issue in SheepShaver emulation or in the installed guest MacOS.

This is an issue with the Unix/shared folder feature.

I am no developer, but as far as I am familiar with SheepShaver internals I suppose this could be solved. I will ask kanjitalk755 if he thinks it can be solved.

(The slow AFP speed in SheepShaver is a different issue. We better not mix two unrelated issues in one topic. You started a topic about that, but the topic title was confusing. I changed the topic title: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11160&p=70236#p70236 )
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:41 am OK, now I think I understand.

1. When the external file system feature in SheepShaver for Windows is used (My Computer icon), Chinese characters in file names are displayed correctly on the SheepShaver side, but classic Mac file attributes are lost. As far as I can imagine, there is no solution for that.

2. When the external file system feature in SheepShaver for OSX/macOS is used ("Unix" disk), the classic Mac file attributes are preserved but the Chinese characters in file names are not displayed correctly on the SheepShaver side. This also happens when the Unix shared folder is on a local HFS+ disk. When the files are copied on the OSX side to a disk image and that image is mounted in SheepShaver, the Chinese file names are displayed correctly. So it is no issue in SheepShaver emulation or in the installed guest MacOS.

This is an issue with the Unix/shared folder feature.

I am no developer, but as far as I am familiar with SheepShaver internals I suppose this could be solved. I will ask kanjitalk755 if he thinks it can be solved.

(The slow AFP speed in SheepShaver is a different issue. We better not mix two unrelated issues in one topic. You started a topic about that, but the topic title was confusing. I changed the topic title: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11160&p=70236#p70236 )
"This is an issue with the Unix/shared folder feature."——————
OK, thank you. If this problem can be solved, please tell me the way.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

shelsm wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:51 am"This is an issue with the Unix/shared folder feature."——————
You cannot solve it and neither can I. If it can be solved, and I think it can, it must be done by the developer. We use the fork by kanjitalk755. If he can solve it and when it is solved, we can create new builds that contain the fix.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Speaking of which, I would expect this issue to also show up in other high-bit language formats such as Japanese Kanji and Korean Hangul.

Also, we're specifically talking Chinese Simplified here, correct? Chinese Traditional should have the same issues as well.

I think those four are the only languages where we'll have enough overlap between OS 9 languages and OS X languages to provide a meaningful fix.
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

adespoton wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:57 pm Speaking of which, I would expect this issue to also show up in other high-bit language formats such as Japanese Kanji and Korean Hangul.

Also, we're specifically talking Chinese Simplified here, correct? Chinese Traditional should have the same issues as well.

I think those four are the only languages where we'll have enough overlap between OS 9 languages and OS X languages to provide a meaningful fix.
Yes, I only use simplified Chinese, traditional Chinese, Japanese and Korean, and I don't test them.
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:32 am
shelsm wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:51 am"This is an issue with the Unix/shared folder feature."——————
You cannot solve it and neither can I. If it can be solved, and I think it can, it must be done by the developer. We use the fork by kanjitalk755. If he can solve it and when it is solved, we can create new builds that contain the fix.
OK,thanks.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

We may have a solution. kanjitalk755 added a new prefs item "name_encoding". As Apple does not provide documentation about the used file name encoding or the apparent backward compatibility for reading old (classic MacOS) filenames in MacOSX, finding the correct encoding keyword will be a bit of a trial and error.

Before I can tell you what to do (what to try), I need some more information:

1. Which SheepShaver build do you use now? (Version number and creation date)

2. Please post here the content of your prefs file:
Launch Terminal (in /Application/Utilities/) and type at the prompt

Code: Select all

open ~/.sheepshaver_prefs
followed by a return.
The file will open in your default text editor. Select all content and copy and paste it here in your reply.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I've got a suggestion for kanjitalk755... The Unarchiver already has some great logic for picking an encoding, including a sliding confidence scale you can adjust if it's getting things wrong in your particular case. This code should be a simple copy/paste away from working in SheepShaver/BII as well :)

Source is available here: https://github.com/st3fan/TheUnarchiver ... salchardet
kanjitalk755
Apple Corer

Post by kanjitalk755 »

I think it is difficult to detect the encoding automatically.
For example, SS needs to determine the encoding by one file whose file name is one UniChar.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

That's true. Even with Apple's own AppleShare Server, Apple requires you to manually set the alternate encoding scheme.

ImageOS X 10.6 Server Languages
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

@ shelsm

If you want to go ahead and try the name encoding feature that kanjitalk755 introduced, please reply to my post here: viewtopic.php?p=70361#p70361
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:04 pm We may have a solution. kanjitalk755 added a new prefs item "name_encoding". As Apple does not provide documentation about the used file name encoding or the apparent backward compatibility for reading old (classic MacOS) filenames in MacOSX, finding the correct encoding keyword will be a bit of a trial and error.

followed by a return.
The file will open in your default text editor. Select all content and copy and paste it here in your reply.
OK,thanks. the sheepshaver for MACOSX10.9 is "SheepShaver_notarized_20210301.ZIP".
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:04 pm We may have a solution. kanjitalk755 added a new prefs item "name_encoding". As Apple does not provide documentation about the used file name encoding or the apparent backward compatibility for reading old (classic MacOS) filenames in MacOSX, finding the correct encoding keyword will be a bit of a trial and error.

followed by a return.
disk New mac9.0.4 - 2.dsk
cdrom /dev/poll/cdrom
extfs /Volumes/VMware Shared Folders/共 享
screen win/1000/820
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala
serialb /dev/null
rom newworld86.rom
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 1027604480
frameskip 0
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound true
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
ignoreillegal true
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
ether slirp
keycodes true
keycodefile
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait false
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Thanks for the prefs content. You did not yet answer question 1:

Which SheepShaver build do you use now? (Version number and creation date)
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:54 am Thanks for the prefs content. You did not yet answer question 1:

Which SheepShaver build do you use now? (Version number and creation date)
thanks. All I know is that the name of the package is "sheetshaver_ notarized_ 20210301.ZIP"