How to display Chinese correctly on UNIX disk when Chinese MacOSX 10.9 runs sheepshaver Chinese version macos9.0?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

shelsm
Tinkerer

How to display Chinese correctly on UNIX disk when Chinese MacOSX 10.9 runs sheepshaver Chinese version macos9.0?

Post by shelsm »

In MAC, the Chinese character of the file name is garbled when the sheepshaver mounts the drive. like this "∫∫“«––ø¨ºÚ"
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: How to display Chinese correctly on UNIX disk when Chinese MacOSX 10.9 runs sheepshaver Chinese version macos9.0?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I suppose that the files show the correct Chinese characters on the OSX side.
If such a file is copied inside SheepShaver MacOS from the Unix drive to the virtual HD (not moved to the desktop!), do the correct characters appear again in the file name?

(BTW: Are we talking about traditional or simplified Chinese?)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: How to display Chinese correctly on UNIX disk when Chinese MacOSX 10.9 runs sheepshaver Chinese version macos9.0?

There are different possible encodings for languages like Chinese. I suppose UTF-8 is normally used in OSX. I am not sure which encoding was used in Classic MacOS.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I've just been sorting through my Developer CDs... the Chinese Traditional, Chinese Simplified, Korean Hangul and Japanese Kanji OS 9 CDs all display like that when mounted on OS X 10.6.11. That's because OS X uses Unicode, but those languages had their own Mac code tables under OS 9 and earlier.

I don't believe there are any tools available for viewing older encodings under OS X -- there's tools for displaying Unicode under OS 9 though.

Possibly, if you extracted the OS 9 system font and installed it in OS X and displayed the screen using that font, it would display correctly.
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

adespoton wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:58 pm I've just been sorting through my Developer CDs... the Chinese Traditional, Chinese Simplified, Korean Hangul and Japanese Kanji OS 9 CDs all display like that when mounted on OS X 10.6.11. That's because OS X uses Unicode, but those languages had their own Mac code tables under OS 9 and earlier.

I don't believe there are any tools available for viewing older encodings under OS X -- there's tools for displaying Unicode under OS 9 though.

Possibly, if you extracted the OS 9 system font and installed it in OS X and displayed the screen using that font, it would display correctly.
I tried to copy the standard Chinese font called "Beijing" from macos9 to macosx10.9, and set the display font to "Beijing", but I still couldn't make UNIX in sheepshaver display the Chinese file name correctly. It seems that it is not the font problem, but the file name encoding mode used by OSX is different from Os9, which causes garbled code. It is strange that sheepshaver can correctly recognize the Chinese file name of windows mapped drive in Windows 7. Is it because mount drivers can be mounted as character codes that Os9 can recognize under windows?
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:52 am I suppose that the files show the correct Chinese characters on the OSX side.
If such a file is copied inside SheepShaver MacOS from the Unix drive to the virtual HD (not moved to the desktop!), do the correct characters appear again in the file name?

(BTW: Are we talking about traditional or simplified Chinese?)
Now the problem is that there is no need to copy. In the Chinese simplified macosx10.9, the file names in the folder are all Chinese characters. After the folder is mounted as UNIX and displayed on the macos9 desktop, finder opens the UNIX folder, and the file displayed in simplified Chinese is garbled. Only numbers and letters can be displayed correctly. How to make sheetshaver for MacOSX support conversion to macos9's default character encoding when mounting UNIX? I think the only way to solve this problem is to modify the "UNIX root" of the sheetshaver parameter to add a Chinese code conversion statement?
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:02 am There are different possible encodings for languages like Chinese. I suppose UTF-8 is normally used in OSX. I am not sure which encoding was used in Classic MacOS.
Yes, but why can the Chinese characters of the file name be displayed correctly on the Chinese disk mounted on the sheepshaver under windows? Is it because the character encoding used in windows and macos9 share the same encoding table?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

shelsm wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:18 amNow the problem is that there is no need to copy. In the Chinese simplified macosx10.9, the file names in the folder are all Chinese characters. After the folder is mounted as UNIX and displayed on the macos9 desktop, finder opens the UNIX folder, and the file displayed in simplified Chinese is garbled.
I asked what happens if a file with garbled name is copied inside SheepShaver from the "Unix" drive to the virtual HD. Is the file name on the virtual HD still garbled or do the correct characters again appear?
Yes, but why can the Chinese characters of the file name be displayed correctly on the Chinese disk mounted on the sheepshaver under windows? Is it because the character encoding used in windows and macos9 share the same encoding table?
Is that a physical disk? What happens if a disk image is created from that disk and that disk image is mounted in SheepShaver under OSX?
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:53 am
shelsm wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:18 amNow the problem is that there is no need to copy. In the Chinese simplified macosx10.9, the file names in the folder are all Chinese characters. After the folder is mounted as UNIX and displayed on the macos9 desktop, finder opens the UNIX folder, and the file displayed in simplified Chinese is garbled.
I asked what happens if a file with garbled name is copied inside SheepShaver from the "Unix" drive to the virtual HD. Is the file name on the virtual HD still garbled or do the correct characters again appear?
Is that a physical disk? What happens if a disk image is created from that disk and that disk image is mounted in SheepShaver under OSX?
if a file with garbled name is copied inside SheepShaver from the "Unix" drive to the virtual HD——It's the same garbled code.
What sheepshaver mounts is the physical partition of win7, just like D / E / F. The root directory of the mounted win7.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Information may get lost on the "Unix" drive which is not a HFS or HFS+ volume. You can see that when you select "Unix" and check Finder Info for the volume. The format is seen by the Finder as "Unix Directory Tree".

I am trying to find out if it is the Unix/shared folder feature that causes the loss of correct display of the Chinese characters or an incompatibility between OSX and MacOS9 in the encoding.

I understand that the file names are correct in OSX. Try putting some of these files in a folder and use Disk Utility to create a disk image of that folder. Make sure the image will be read/write, not compressed, and not encoded. Then add that image as volume to the volumes list in SheepShaver Preferences. Save and shut down SheepShaver. At next launch the image will appear on the SheepShaver desktop. Are file names on that volume displayed correctly?
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:07 am Information may get lost on the "Unix" drive which is not a HFS or HFS+ volume. You can see that when you select "Unix" and check Finder Info for the volume. The format is seen by the Finder as "Unix Directory Tree".

I am trying to find out if it is the Unix/shared folder feature that causes the loss of correct display of the Chinese characters or an incompatibility between OSX and MacOS9 in the encoding.

I understand that the file names are correct in OSX. Try putting some of these files in a folder and use Disk Utility to create a disk image of that folder. Make sure the image will be read/write, not compressed, and not encoded. Then add that image as volume to the volumes list in SheepShaver Preferences. Save and shut down SheepShaver. At next launch the image will appear on the SheepShaver desktop. Are file names on that volume displayed correctly?
Thank you. OK. I'll test it tomorrow. Make the file with Chinese file name into a volume and load it in the directory. Which tool do I need to use to create images?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The best way will be to create a new empty disk image of sufficient size. If this works with files names intact, it can be used to move files between SheepShaver guest and OSX host.

- Start Disk Utility (in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder)
- From the File menu, choose New Image > Blank Image...
- At the top of the Save dialog: Give the image file a name
- At the bottom of the Save dialog:
Name: Give the volume a name
Size: Choose a size
Format: Mac OS Extended
Encryption: none
Partitions: no partition map
Image format: read/write disk image
- Click "Save"
- A disk image with extension .dmg will be created. The image will probably be mounted automatically in OSX when it is created.

You can mount the image in both OSX and SheepShaver and you can copy files to it and from it in both OSX and SheepShaver MacOS9.

Double click the file in OSX to mount it in OSX.
Add the image file to the volumes list in SheepShaver to mount it in SheepShaver.

Note that the image cannot be mounted in OSX and SheepShaver at the same time. While the image is mounted in OSX, it will not appear on the SheepShaver desktop. So make sure the image volume is not mounted in OSX when you start SheepShaver.

Do the Chinese names of files on the disk image volume now appear correctly in both OSX and SheepShaver MacOS9?
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:54 pm The best way will be to create a new empty disk image of sufficient size. If this works with files names intact, it can be used to move files between SheepShaver guest and OSX host.

- Start Disk Utility (in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder)
- From the File menu, choose New Image > Blank Image...
- At the top of the Save dialog: Give the image file a name
- At the bottom of the Save dialog:
Name: Give the volume a name
Size: Choose a size
Format: Mac OS Extended
Encryption: none
Partitions: no partition map
Image format: read/write disk image
- Click "Save"
- A disk image with extension .dmg will be created. The image will probably be mounted automatically in OSX when it is created.

You can mount the image in both OSX and SheepShaver and you can copy files to it and from it in both OSX and SheepShaver MacOS9.

Double click the file in OSX to mount it in OSX.
Add the image file to the volumes list in SheepShaver to mount it in SheepShaver.

Note that the image cannot be mounted in OSX and SheepShaver at the same time. While the image is mounted in OSX, it will not appear on the SheepShaver desktop. So make sure the image volume is not mounted in OSX when you start SheepShaver.

Do the Chinese names of files on the disk image volume now appear correctly in both OSX and SheepShaver MacOS9?
Yes, through image file exchange, macos9 can correctly identify the Chinese file name copied by MacOSX. But it's very cumbersome to exchange files. I now have a file server. MacOSX is a server directly connected through LAN. This server folder can't be made into image file. How to solve the problem of garbled Chinese file name of LAN folder under UNIX root?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Well, the issue is apparently with the Unix/shared folder over a network connection. I do not know if this can be resolved.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Why can't the server file folder be made into a disk image?
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:08 am Why can't the server file folder be made into a disk image?
Because LAN folder is a long-term read-write modification of the file. Other computers also connect to the server's shared folder. Therefore, it is impossible to mount and exit as a new image file
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:08 am Why can't the server file folder be made into a disk image?
Now the question is, is there any way to turn the windows sheepshaver into a mount driver and recognize it as a UNIX mode similar to MacOSX? Instead of NTFS mapping. This can solve the problem that macos9 can't recognize the AFP file of finder protocol in windows
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Directly map the mounted NTFS disk to the appleshare disk or UNIX tree on macos9. Can this be modified from compilation?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The "Unix" feature is not available in SheepShaver for windows. Instead, there is the "My computer" icon.

I have no answers to your questions, sorry.
I do not understand your setup with different computers and server and what is the need or purpose of that complicated setup. Your explanation in the other topic did not make it clear either, at least not to me: viewtopic.php?p=70221#p70221

I hope others can answer your questions, I cannot.
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:09 pm The "Unix" feature is not available in SheepShaver for windows. Instead, there is the "My computer" icon.

I do not understand your setup with different computers and server and what is the need or purpose of that complicated setup. Your explanation in the other topic did not make it clear either, at least not to me: viewtopic.php?p=70221#p70221

well,thanks
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:09 pm The "Unix" feature is not available in SheepShaver for windows. Instead, there is the "My computer" icon.

So can the method of correctly display Chinese characters for UNIX mounted by the sheepshavr of MacOSX?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Try it and see what happens. No one can tell you. Just try it.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Well, if you read this and the other topic, you will see that "shelsm" did try.

Summarising:
Chinese file names are not displayed correctly in the "Unix" volume (shared folder) in SheepShaver OSX and still not when those files are copied from "Unix" to the virtual HD in SheepShaver. The files do show correct Chinese names when copied to a disk image on the OSX side that is then mounted in SheepShaver.

This is on Chinese host OSX and Chinese guest MacOS.

"shelsm" asks what can be done to make Chinese characters in file names survive transfers through the Unix/shared folder feature.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

OK, apologies for wasting bandwidth. I finally understand what the question is (or at least I think I understand it), but I don't have an answer.
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

emendelson wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:13 pm OK, apologies for wasting bandwidth. I finally understand what the question is (or at least I think I understand it), but I don't have an answer.
Yes, that's the problem. That's right. It is strange that sheepshaver under windows can mount NTFS disk correctly and display Chinese characters