How to display Chinese correctly on UNIX disk when Chinese MacOSX 10.9 runs sheepshaver Chinese version macos9.0?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

shelsm
Tinkerer

Re: How to display Chinese correctly on UNIX disk when Chinese MacOSX 10.9 runs sheepshaver Chinese version macos9.0?

Post by shelsm »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:54 am Thanks for the prefs content. You did not yet answer question 1:

Which SheepShaver build do you use now? (Version number and creation date)
I found the download URL is "https://www.emaculation.com/sheepshaver ... 210301.zip"
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: How to display Chinese correctly on UNIX disk when Chinese MacOSX 10.9 runs sheepshaver Chinese version macos9.0?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

OK that will do, that is SheepShaver version 2.5, creation date 1 March 2021, or possibly 2 March when you are in China.
(You will find version number and creation date when you select the application icon and hit command-I (which which show the Finder Info panel for the selected file).

For the test, download this SheepShaver build: https://www.emaculation.com/sheepshaver ... 210416.zip
and replace the older application with this newer one. I will explain the test later.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

We need to find the encoding for Simplified Chinese. Is that correct?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Apologies if this is useless or was posted earlier, but I wonder if this could help point in the right direction? I haven't tried it:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL355?locale=en_US

The page says it's designed for OS X 10.1 or 10.2, and it presumably won't run on an Intel Mac, but possibly an experiment in QEMU could help sort things out?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I understand this is for making MacOS file names display correctly in OSX/macOS. But here we want to keep the classic MacOS file names unchanged as they will be used in classic MacOS in SheepShaver, but also have them displayed correctly in "Unix" when they are in the shared folder, when the guest MacOS and the host OSX are used with the same language (in this case Chinese). Without the new "name_encoding" feature, the file names are displayed correctly in both the guest MacOS and the host OSX, but appear garbled in "Unix".
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:36 am OK that will do, that is SheepShaver version 2.5, creation date 1 March 2021, or possibly 2 March when you are in China.
(You will find version number and creation date when you select the application icon and hit command-I (which which show the Finder Info panel for the selected file).

For the test, download this SheepShaver build: https://www.emaculation.com/sheepshaver ... 210416.zip
and replace the older application with this newer one. I will explain the test later.
The version of 0416 you sent is in my macos10 . 9 on the image refresh is not normal, can not be displayed correctly, you must drag the mouse to block before you can see the picture. It can't be used normally, but I checked it through blind operation. The Chinese file name is not displayed, but the empty file name is displayed.
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:36 am OK that will do, that is SheepShaver version 2.5, creation date 1 March 2021, or possibly 2 March when you are in China.

That is to say, the startup is a white screen, and the static picture can only be seen by moving the occlusion
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

emendelson wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:11 pm Apologies if this is useless or was posted earlier, but I wonder if this could help point in the right direction? I haven't tried it:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL355?locale=en_US

The page says it's designed for OS X 10.1 or 10.2, and it presumably won't run on an Intel Mac, but possibly an experiment in QEMU could help sort things out?
I tried to use this software to encode the entire folder as "macRoman". Macos9 can correctly recognize Chinese. At the same time, the folder on MacOSX is garbled
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Confusion, confusion.
Please do not mix different things, issues, and solutions. Now I am almost lost again.

1. The suggestion by emendelson is not a solution for your issue, as I explained above.

2. Using the new SheepShaver build does not yet solve your issue in itself, because installing it was just the first step. The new build is needed to make the changes that could possibly solve the issue. I wrote above "I will explain the test later".

But, I understand that the new SheepShaver build does not run correctly in your OSX 10.9. That is possible, as It has not been tested on OSX 10.9. I do not have OSX 10.9 and I suppose neither has the developer kanjitalk755. Nevertheless, if the 1 March 2021 build runs on your machine, I can see no reason why the 16 April 2021 would not run correctly. Nothing changed between March 1 and April 16 that could explain the issue you describe. If we cannot make this build run on your machine, there is no solution for the garbled text issue in "Unix".

Request to other users: If you can boot your machine in OSX 10.9 (Mavericks), can you try if this 16 April 2021 build will run there?
Download: https://www.emaculation.com/sheepshaver ... 210416.zip
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:03 am Confusion, confusion.
Please do not mix different things, issues, and solutions. Now I am almost lost again.

1. The suggestion by emendelson is not a solution for your issue, as I explained above.

2. Using the new SheepShaver build does not yet solve your issue in itself, because installing it was just the first step. The new build is needed to make the changes that could possibly solve the issue. I wrote above "I will explain the test later".

But, I understand that the new SheepShaver build does not run correctly in your OSX 10.9. That is possible, as It has not been tested on OSX 10.9. I do not have OSX 10.9 and I suppose neither has the developer kanjitalk755. Nevertheless, if the 1 March 2021 build runs on your machine, I can see no reason why the 16 April 2021 would not run correctly. Nothing changed between March 1 and April 16 that could explain the issue you describe. If we cannot make this build run on your machine, there is no solution for the garbled text issue in "Unix".

Request to other users: If you can boot your machine in OSX 10.9 (Mavericks), can you try if this 16 April 2021 build will run there?
I have test it, look at:
The version of 0416 you sent is in my macos10 . 9 on the image refresh is not normal, can not be displayed correctly, you must drag the mouse to block before you can see the picture. It can't be used normally, but I checked it through blind operation. The Chinese file name is not displayed, but the empty file name is displayed.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

@ shelsm

Please wait!
This may be a problem with not understanding each other because of the language barrier, but I did not ask you to download and try again. This thread will become unreadable and incomprehensible like this. Please wait till I give further instructions.

The request to other users still stands: If you can boot your machine in OSX 10.9 (Mavericks), can you try if this 16 April 2021 build will run there?
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

OK,thanks! I will waiting.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:03 am Request to other users: If you can boot your machine in OSX 10.9 (Mavericks), can you try if this 16 April 2021 build will run there?
Yes, it runs perfectly in 10.9 Mavericks (in a VMware Fusion machine).
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Thanks. Good to know there is not a mysterious bug that was entered in the source since March 1 this year and that only affects older OSX hosts.

In the meantime, kanjitalk755 made a change in the source that makes Japanese, Chinese Simplified, and Chinese Traditional fixed settings in a new "name_encoding" prefs item.

New test builds coming.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

@ shelsm
I sent you a private message yesterday, I see that you did not yet read it.
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:07 am @ shelsm
I sent you a private message yesterday, I see that you did not yet read it.
OK,thank you!I will to see it.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

In a private conversation we made sure that my April 21 SheepShaver build runs correctly in your OSX setup.
https://www.emaculation.com/sheepshaver ... 210421.zip

Now do this:

- Shut down SheepShaver
- Open ~/.sheepshaver_prefs in a text editor as you did before:

- Launch Terminal (in /Application/Utilities/)
- type at the prompt

Code: Select all

open ~/.sheepshaver_prefs
followed by a return
(The file will open in your default text editor.)

- Add the following line at the bottom:

name_encoding 25
- Close and Save

When you run SheepShaver again, do the files in "Unix" show their correct names?
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:27 am In a private conversation we made sure that my April 21 SheepShaver build runs correctly in your OSX setup.

Now do this:

- Shut down SheepShaver

- type at the prompt

followed by a return

name_encoding 25
- Close and Save

When you run SheepShaver again, do the files in "Unix" show their correct names?
yes. It can display Chinese correctly. But the mouse feel off the frame, not smooth.
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:27 am In a private conversation we made sure that my April 21 SheepShaver build runs correctly in your OSX setup.

Now do this:

- Shut down SheepShaver

- type at the prompt

followed by a return

name_encoding 25
- Close and Save

How can I apply this code to the sheepshaver of "0301.zip"?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

shelsm wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:21 amHow can I apply this code to the sheepshaver of "0301.zip"?
You cannot. The "name_encoding" feature is new in the 16 April and 21 April test builds.
yes. It can display Chinese correctly.
Good! So this new feature works as intended.

But the mouse feel off the frame, not smooth.
I do not understand what you mean with "the mouse feel off the frame". Maybe you mean the mouse behaviour inside the SheepShaver window.

You can try the hardware cursor, the hardware cursor will feel smoother.
To enable the hardware cursor you need to add this line to the prefs file:

hardcursor true
See also the section "Advanced features" in the setup manual: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... uilds_only
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:08 am
shelsm wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:21 amHow can I apply this code to the sheepshaver of "0301.zip"?
You cannot. The "name_encoding" feature is new in the 16 April and 21 April test builds.
yes. It can display Chinese correctly.
Good! So this new feature works as intended.

But the mouse feel off the frame, not smooth.
I do not understand what you mean with "the mouse feel off the frame". Maybe you mean the mouse behaviour inside the SheepShaver window.

You can try the hardware cursor, the hardware cursor will feel smoother.
To enable the hardware cursor you need to add this line to the prefs file:

hardcursor true
See also the section "Advanced features" in the setup manual: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... uilds_only
great!thanks!That's the problem. Now the mouse problem is solved