File transfers between SheepShaver and network server extremely slow

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

shelsm
Tinkerer

File transfers between SheepShaver and network server extremely slow

Post by shelsm »

Connect the shared folder of synogyNAS through TCP/IP, the transmission speed is very slow, only about 1MB/s. What can I do to improve the network transmission speed of sheepshaver?
shelsm
Tinkerer

Re: File transfers between SheepShaver and network server extremely slow

Post by shelsm »

how to improve the netspeed?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

shelsm wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:38 am how to improve the netspeed?
Are you using SLIrP or Tun/Tap networking?

What are you using to measure the speed?

Web browsers (Classilla) are slow because the code itself runs slow. I haven't had issues when using Fetch to grab stuff from my network server over FTP. Using AFP, you might have multiple bottlenecks; I find QEMU-PPC works much better here.
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

adespoton wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:26 pm
shelsm wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:38 am how to improve the netspeed?
Are you using SLIrP or Tun/Tap networking?

What are you using to measure the speed?

Web browsers (Classilla) are slow because the code itself runs slow. I haven't had issues when using Fetch to grab stuff from my network server over FTP. Using AFP, you might have multiple bottlenecks; I find QEMU-PPC works much better here.
I use slirp and link to NAS file server through IP address. The speed of copying files is very slow. But QEMU is not as fast as sheepshaver
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

So what file sharing protocol are you using for the NAS? I presume it's AFP, not SMB? If it's AFP, which version is it? Info on the versions available here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Filing_Protocol

Personally, I've had the best experience running NFS on my NAS and an NFS client on OS 9 on both QEMU and SheepShaver (and actual hardware).
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

adespoton wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:38 pm So what file sharing protocol are you using for the NAS? I presume it's AFP, not SMB? If it's AFP, which version is it? Info on the versions available here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Filing_Protocol

Personally, I've had the best experience running NFS on my NAS and an NFS client on OS 9 on both QEMU and SheepShaver (and actual hardware).
Even if the peer-to-peer macos9 physical machine PPC and sheepshaver are connected from the adapter, the network speed can only reach 300KB / m
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Not sure if this is relevant here, but in our earlier conversation you wrote that you run SheepShaver in OSX 10.9 in VMware (I suppose in Windows).
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:29 am Not sure if this is relevant here, but in our earlier conversation you wrote that you run SheepShaver in OSX 10.9 in VMware (I suppose in Windows).
I have two sheepshaver on PC and MACOSX