Crash with sound while File Sharing on. System 9.0.4

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

BlueHighFlyer
Space Cadet

Crash with sound while File Sharing on. System 9.0.4

Post by BlueHighFlyer »

Hi,

Has anyone experienced that SheepShaver crashed when sound is produced (any sound, even beep), but only when File Sharing is on, and only with System 9.0.4?
If turn off File Sharing, sound works like a charm. I've tried it in 9.0 and seems stable. I can have File Sharing on and no issues with sound. I have another instance of SheepShaver running System 8 and no issues at all.
I am using a New World ROM, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. It is only when those factors are aligned. Sound + File Sharing + System 9.0.4. :???:

Any thoughts?

Jaime
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Crash with sound while File Sharing on. System 9.0.4

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Strange, especially strange that it affects only MacOS 9.0.4.
But do you actually use File Sharing in SheepShaver?
BlueHighFlyer
Space Cadet

Re: Crash with sound while File Sharing on. System 9.0.4

Post by BlueHighFlyer »

He he :wink: Not that I am actually using SheepShaver to do File Sharing on a regular basis. It is simply for the joy seeing it back on live and awe how much the emulation can replicate the real thing.

The story goes that I still have a PowerMac 7100 working (actually my father's) and got to the task of backing up hundred of diskettes from back then, before the real Mac ages. The 7100 contributing with a drive capable of even reading (dc42) 400K diskettes from those days. The Mac with a AAUI is just perfect for EtherTalk, just seeing that SS is capable of networking I set it up with tap devices and even with the Debian VM for OpenVPN for SS on a laptop to join AppleTalk.
The real Mac can talk with the virtual ones flawlessly, both SS and Basilisk, which is just awesome! Intrigued to see AppleTalk on EtherTalk I also did some WireShark captures and it is just delightful to see the protocol live :cool:

All this long story to say and it really is weird that the particular combination crashes on sound generation. Has anyone experienced the same thing? I wonder if it is something on my set up