Vasi SheepShaver for Linux (2019-07-13) fails to display menus and settings

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Mac9LnUniDU
Space Cadet

Vasi SheepShaver for Linux (2019-07-13) fails to display menus and settings

Post by Mac9LnUniDU »

The Vasi-forked SheepShaver for Linux released on 2019-07-13 fails to display menus and settings. Without menus being displayed at all, the "Preferences" menu item cannot be invoked, and hence the "Virtual Machine Settings" dialog cannot be opened. The "SheepShaver Settings" dialog does not open, either.

According to setup guides at this web site, appropriate configuration must be done with "Virtual Machine Settings" or "SheepShaver Settings" when SheepShaver launches for the first time.

Thus, my SheepShaver is stuck with the question-mark disk icon blinking at the first-time launch, and cannot proceed any further.

Note that, Macintosh has the menu bar at the top of the screen, MSWindows has a menu bar on each window but not at the top of the screen, and Linux has both the top-screen menu bar (also called the top panel) and window-based menu bars. However, the top-screen menu bar of Linux differs from that of Macintosh as follows. The menus on the top-screen bar of Linux emerge only when the mouse pointer hovers over the menu bar. So, I had the mouse pointer hover over the menu bar, but the menus did not appear.

Because Vasi built his SheepShaver on Ubuntu 12.04, I myself used Ubuntu 12.04 (12.04.5 to be specific) to test his SheepShaver; and it fails to display menus and settings. It failed on Debian 10.8 also.

Are users of this Vasi-forked SheepShaver supposed to directly edit the preference file by a text editor? If this is the case, I would need the details of the preference file. Is there any guide or instruction manual explaining the syntax, rules and keywords of the preference file?

Note:
Ubuntu 12.04 was released in April, 2012.
Debian 10.8 was released in February, 2021.

The Vasi-forked SheepShaver for Linux released on 2019-07-13 is available at:
https://github.com/vasi/macemu/releases/download/2019-07-13/SheepShaver-20190713-amd64.xz
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Vasi SheepShaver for Linux (2019-07-13) fails to display menus and settings

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The GUI for Linux builds does not work in the way you describe. If the executable is built with the GUI enabled, it will appear when you start SheepShaver.
MacOS builds have the settings option included in the menus, the Windows builds include a separate GUI.

A .sheepshaver_prefs file should have been created in your home folder when you started SheepShaver the first time. In Linux this file is hidden by default, but can be edited with your favourite text editor. There are many examples of prefs files in the forum.

Best,
Cat_7