Can SheepShaver mount physical hard drives on Mac OS X 10.7 or on Linux?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Mac9LnUniDU
Space Cadet

Can SheepShaver mount physical hard drives on Mac OS X 10.7 or on Linux?

Post by Mac9LnUniDU »

The article "Setting up SheepShaver for OSX/macOS on Intel Macs" (https://emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_mac_os_x_setup) states:
Up to Mac OS X 10.7, physical CD-ROMs can be mounted within SheepShaver. Just insert the CD on the host system and the CD will be mounted on the guest desktop. OS X 10.8 and later prevents mounting of physical CD-ROMs in SheepShaver.

What about physical hard drives and physical USB sticks? Can physical hard drives and physical USB sticks be mounted within SheepShaver on Mac OS X 10.7 or on Linux? (Concerning Linux, I am particularly interested in the Vasi-forked SheepShaver for Linux released on 2019-07-13.)

If they can, I have a further question. Even though hard drives and USB sticks in general are writable, it is possible to write-protect hard drives and USB sticks. Can write-protected physical hard drives and physical USB sticks be mounted within SheepShaver on Mac OS X 10.7 or on Linux?

Note: A device called "ForensicPC Tableau" can write-protect hard drives. Some USB sticks have write-protection tabs. Moreover, all SD cards have write-protection tabs, and a USB-connected SD card reader/writer holding an SD card looks and works like a USB stick.
theducks
Space Cadet

Re: Can SheepShaver mount physical hard drives on Mac OS X 10.7 or on Linux?

Post by theducks »

I tried on MacOS X with no luck.. but that's almost certainly not going to work because physical devices are owned by root.. Linux might work a bit better?

As a workaround, you can DD the whole device to a file (sudo dd if=/dev/diskX of=DeviceImage.dd) and then setup sheepshaver to use the image. If you need to make changes you can then dd it back on (use /dev/rdiskX as a target), but it does take a while each way