Finale was unable to complete the Internet transaction

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

kaizmoto1489
Space Cadet

Finale was unable to complete the Internet transaction

Post by kaizmoto1489 »

I am running OS9 on Sheepshaver running on macOS 10.13 host OS. The virtual OS9 can see the internet, and I have successfully accessed web pages. I am attempting to register Finale 2004 in OS9. Folks at Makemusic have told me the internet registration process may still work.

So when I attempt to access their server I get "Finale was unable to complete the Internet transaction (Error - 10)". Followed by "We were unable to complete your registration, perhaps due to a firewall on your computer or server." I have tried doing this with Firewall disabled on both host computer and router. My guess is that the registration requires communication over a random port that would normally be blocked.

If anyone has an idea for something I could try, I would appreciate it.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Finale was unable to complete the Internet transaction

Post by Cat_7 »

Hello,

If your activation issue is indeed caused by the limitations in the default slirp-based internet connection, you might need to run SheepShaver with tap networking. That way all traffic to the host/internet will become possible.

You might first use something like "little snitch" or some network traffic analyser like tcpdump to find out what Finale is trying to do from within SheepShaver.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Finale was unable to complete the Internet transaction

Post by adespoton »

Cat_7 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:52 am Hello,

If your activation issue is indeed caused by the limitations in the default slirp-based internet connection, you might need to run SheepShaver with tap networking. That way all traffic to the host/internet will become possible.

You might first use something like "little snitch" or some network traffic analyser like tcpdump to find out what Finale is trying to do from within SheepShaver.

Best,
Cat_7
If Finale is trying to open a port for remote connection, it might also be possible to do SLiRP with proxying, if you can figure out which port is being left open.