Resizing Resolutions

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Resizing Resolutions

Post by starfiretbt »

some of the games seem to be of a lower resolution meaning they appear small and windowed in Basilisk and Sheepshaver, for example Rebel Assault is very small. The solution to this I was told was to resize the emulator under the Graphics tab, for example setting it to 640 by 480 and then set the emulator to full-screen. Unfortunately this has been causing color issues in the game at random times. Usually not all the image transitions away or random colors are added where they shouldn't be.
This also makes it hard to run other programs at the same time. I sometimes like to watch youtube videos while I play some games, and while a windowed game is optional for this sometimes the game is too small for it to be fun.
Isn't there a way to change the resolution of the emulated computer without changing the emulator's size when windowed? Or at least modify the game so it can operate and larger resolutions?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Resizing Resolutions

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You do not need to set a lower resolution in the GUI. You can switch between available resolutions in Monitors control panel in MacOS in SheepShaver while SheepShaver is running. Also. toggling between window mode and full-screen mode can be done using Control-Return while SheepShaver is running.

In SheepShaver best use the PPC version of the game that should be available on the CD image file.

Make sure you switch to 256 colors when asked to do so when starting the game.

The emulator's resolution equals the emulator's window size. There is no way to change that apart from using a hidden feature* that will double the size of the window while keeping the resolution within the window unchanged. But I am not sure that is what you want. Also, there is no way to change the resolution of the game.

* Doubling the window size will work with recent SheepShaver builds posted in this forum. Add this line to the prefs file:

Code: Select all

mag_rate 2
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

I tried the PPC version and its still the same problem, I even tried 256 colors, more and it complains, I didn't try 16 colors.
However while trying the game "Odyssey: The Legend of Nemesis" on Basilisk I did have somewhat of a playable solution. I have the same problem with that game
When windowed the colors are normal but the game is VERY small
But then I thought, "if I can adjust the resolution in Basilisk and Sheepshaver can I do the same on my computer?" This is what I got.
This is MUCH more appealing, but it does seem to mess around with my computer. Are you saying there is no solution but to juggle around screen resolutions between my computer and mac emulators? Because that is kind of frustrating. It seems like it might be simpler to use some kind of program editor and change the game's default resolution.
By the way, I'm using https://postimages.org/ and if I delete my picture in that site would the picture on a forum disappear since it follows a link?
EDIT: Also, if I add the window doubling code does that give me the option to double the window or will it always be doubled whether I want it to or not? It would be even more of a hassle to have to keep adding and deleting code as I need it than resizing screen resolutions.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

If you delete the image, it will also disappear here from your post.

Yes, doubling the window size is permanent until you remove the code from the prefs file.