Issues launching SheepShave v2.5.

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Frothgar
Space Cadet

Issues launching SheepShave v2.5.

Post by Frothgar »

Hi there. I'm Michael, long time fan of Apple, new user here. Anyway, I recently downloaded Sheep Shaver 2.5 and it immediately crashes upon startup. The OS I'm running is macOS Big Sur 11.4 Is the reason why it crashes is because of Big Sur's allergy to 32-bit apps or is there another reason. Please get back to me.

- Michael
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Issues launching SheepShave v2.5.

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

SheepShaver should run fine in Big Sur, on both Intel or Apple Silicon.

I understand that you try SheepShaver for the first time and that you do not have an existing SheepShaver setup. Right?

1. Did you download a recent recommended build, either 21 April 2021 (Intel only) or 3 July 2021 (universal), from this topic: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7360 ?

2. Did you download the SheepShaver folder, as instructed in the same post?

3. Did you follow the set up guide (webloc file in the SheepShaver folder)? Specifically, did you get all the files needed in the SheepShaver folder (as instructed in the setup guide)?

(SheepShaver will quit on launch if no compatible ROM file with the right name is available in the SheepShaver folder.)
Frothgar
Space Cadet

Post by Frothgar »

That might be why it's crashing, then. That being the fact I don't have a OS ROM in the SheepShaver folder. Since I'm looking to emulate Mac OS9 at the moment, it seems like I will have to track down a ROM for that. Where is that, by the way? The folder, I mean.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I already answered your question above.

As I wrote, the download link to the SheepShaver folder is in the same post from where you can download SheepShaver itself: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7360

All information is in the setup guide, also about where to find a compatible ROM file. Follow the guide to the letter. The webloc file in the SheepShaver folder links to the guide, which can also be found here: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... os_x_setup