SheepShaver on Gentoo using CoLinux finally working

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

trexplorer

SheepShaver on Gentoo using CoLinux finally working

Post by trexplorer »

Well ... Finally got "everything working". SheepShaver started up w Mac OS 8.1. Unfortunately JIT crashes so the emulation is rather slow. Also note that only one windowed screen mode works (640x480) and it's fussy about which rom boots with which OS (i.e., I used the 1.8MB system ROM from the Mac OS ROM updates.smi for OS8.1 while a 4MB ROM seemed to work for OS8.6). Also note that system crashes with extensions on, so the emul doesn't like one of the extensions (BTW same OS8.1 hard file works for B2)

As for CoLinux and Gentoo, there are several issues that continue to plague me. These include mounting a linux hard disk w FStab, slow emulation of VNC & X and unreliable file transfer from Windows. I am also still struggling to expand my hardfile root directory (I've been able to expand the image using TopoEnlarge but not the ext3 root).

I've also written a guide following Trombone Bob's instructions and includes clarifications/details that made the difference in getting things working for me. I'll post shortly once I get things cleaned up.

Needless to say that if you're not familiar w Linux (like me) this is a long and difficult install. The complexities of getting SheepShaver operating w Mac Images, etc... are hard enough for most people, let alone the quirks associated with CoLinux and also Gentoo (i.e, networking really is unreliable unless you do a complete "emerge system" update which takes several hours ...).

All in all, a lot of fun although PearPC was quicker and more fun to install. Conclusion (s):

1) BasiliskII on Windows is still the best and most useable emulator out there but it sure is nice to see some new action in the emulation world.

2) CoLinux is the real sleeping giant in this round-up ... looks like it's got a great future.

Cheers ...

(p.s., tried to include attachment but limited to 50kb ...)
Gwenole

Post by Gwenole »

Which version are you using? If anything more recent than February snapshot, JIT was bound to crash until fixes of this morning. ;-)
trexplorer

Post by trexplorer »

SheepShaver says V2.2 after starting up ... Is there a more recent version and if so, how do I download ...? Thanks.
trexplorer

Guide to SheepShaver on CoLinux

Post by trexplorer »

Hope the following helps those still struggling. Thanks to those that contributed on this forum and others. Cheers ...