does sound work?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

does sound work?

Post by Guest »

I've compiled from the latest CVS and can't get sound working. Of course that might mean that:
1. It doesn't work :)
2. It doesn't work inside VMWare
3. I'm a Linux moron (although the applet in redhat 9 recognizes the sound card and plays a song).

I'm also struggling with the tap0 setup so if anyone has except instructions on that let me know.

Post by Guest »

I've never seen sound work, just my personal experience.

As far as tap0, thats a bitch. You have to recompile the kernel with several options then configure some stuff to create a "seperate network" that interfaces thru tap0, which then finally you can use to communicate with sheepshaver.

If you're a geek maybe this is a breeze. If you're an average geek or god-forbid a novice to computing... forget it.
Gwenole

Post by Gwenole »

1) For sound, it turns out it works with NewWorld ROMs too. I have not noticed when I had initially tested it but simply select the output device from the sound control panel.

2) For networking on non 32-bit big endian platforms, you have to first remove the #ifdef WORDS_BIGENDIAN in kpx_cpu/sheepshaver_glue.cpp and try again. With a 2.4 series kernel, you can try the sheep_net module if you are over a LAN. If it sometimes crashes or hang, then try with the MOL sheep_net module... If you are alone at home through a DSL connection, use the tun method. At least, this works for me now.