SheepShaver ROM Troubles (Not A Request)

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

jhkl
Tinkerer

SheepShaver ROM Troubles (Not A Request)

Post by jhkl »

Hello everyone,

After fooling around with PearPC for awhile, I decided to try SheepShaver, seeing if I could get the old 7.5.3 free Mac distribution to boot. The problem is that I have run into a little complication with regards to the ROM file. Every time I try to boot SheepShaver I get the error message about the fact that the ROM needs to be 4 MB in size and from a PCI-based PowerMac.

I believe that people have stated that the following ROMs will work:

- MacOS ROM 1.1.2 from MacOS 8.5
- MacOS ROM 1.2.1 from "iMac Update 1.1"
- MacOS ROM 1.4 from MacOS 8.6
- MacOS ROM 1.6 from "MacOS ROM Update 1.0"

Of those, I have tried the MacOS ROM 1.2.1 from iMac Update 1.1 (3.5 MB in size), MacOS ROM 1.6 (about 2 MB in size), and I've even tried the PowerMac G4 ROM update from Apple (it's under 4 MB as well).

All of them give the same error message, so I was just wondering if anyone here has had any luck with the free ROM files. If so, how exactly did you get it to work. :?

Thanks in advance,
David
jhkl
Tinkerer

Post by jhkl »

OK. Never mind. The solution just hit me after I had already posted this.

I was using HFVExplorer to extract the ROM file from my Windows Basilisk II OS 7.5.3 installation. Then I would go into Linux and copy the ROM file from the Windows partition to the Linux one. I guess something gets messed up in the process.

If you mount the HFV partition directly using "mount -t hfs yourhfvfile.hfv /mnt/yourlocation" and copy the ROM using that method, it works.

It's so simple, yet I've spent days trying to figure this one out. :lol:

Hope that helps someone who may be having the same troubles. :)
ShadowFox
Tinkerer

Post by ShadowFox »

Yes, sometimes the binary conversion and resource forks can do wonky things extracting within windows. When I did it, I just downloaded the files from Apple within Basilisk II (using IE 3.0), extracted them, and copied the uncompressed ROM to a folder on my hard drive (via the "my computer" option in BII), then copied via samba to my linux box. Worked like a charm for me.