Also one who can't get SheepShaver to BOOT...

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

DualC
Student Driver

Also one who can't get SheepShaver to BOOT...

Post by DualC »

Im reading this forum, and cant get a clue how to get the SheepShaver emulator to work..

I have compiled the latest CVS whith my Mandrake 9.2 Linux, and it starts perfectly.
The os i'm using is a Swedish version of MacOS 8 on CD-ROM, i have tried the rom file frpm oldos.org and also grabbed a rom file out om an UPDATE on the internet...

BUT i can't get it to BOOT, as all the others who got's problem.. now i have been a bit angry cose i se others who have get MacOS 9 up running.

WHAT am i doing wrong, when i trie to boot first time i Wait for about 90 Mins with no difference, i get the GLAD face and the screen telling me "Welcome to MacOS" but nothing more... Someone help me please...

/Mattias
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

What version of MacOS 8 are you using?
Tell it to boot, then if you are waiting ages, quite sheepshaver and then restart your computer, then restart sheepshaver.

If thatdoesn't work, try using a differne window manager or try using X-Windows on its own (with no window manager)

Hope that helps

Stephen
DualC
Student Driver

Post by DualC »

Stephen Coates wrote:What version of MacOS 8 are you using?
Tell it to boot, then if you are waiting ages, quite sheepshaver and then restart your computer, then restart sheepshaver.

If thatdoesn't work, try using a differne window manager or try using X-Windows on its own (with no window manager)

Hope that helps

Stephen
Thanks for ur answer Stephen, im using MacOS 8.0 (Swedish) on CD-ROM i don know whish version or revision it is, IM also using GNOME 2.4 i guess it is, have lots of memory in buffert when i'm running X also,

It BOOTS but i only see the "welcome screen" and i't goes no futher...

/Mattias
ShadowFox
Tinkerer

Post by ShadowFox »

When you start up SheepShaver and get to the GUI (setup screen), on the Memory/Misc tab, turn off/unheck "Ignore Illegal Memory Accesss" and click Start. If you're launching SheepShaver from a console, see if it will get to the welcome screen again, or if it closes out and crashes. If it crashes, copy and paste what the console says to here. I had a similar issue here, and I'm curious to see if it's the same bug.
DualC
Student Driver

Post by DualC »

Hi ShadowFox: I have tried what also.. but i get NO errors at all, and now i will put SheepShaver in the closet for a while cose i get up my eyes for PearPC who get MacOS X up and running on my PC, and it WORKS.. :)

/Mattias
gb
Real Swell Guy!

Post by gb »

You need a NewWorld ROM for MacOS >= 8.5. You need an OldWorld ROM for MacOS <= 8.1. You should get a crash when trying to run MacOS 8 with a NewWorld ROM... What does grep ignoresegv ~/.sheepshaver_prefs outputs?