SheepShaver crashes on startup

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

xslaugh
Space Cadet

SheepShaver crashes on startup

Post by xslaugh »

I have been trying for some time to get SheepShaver to start up. I am using Slackware 10.0, and compiled SheepShaver from CVS. I am using the rom from the Mac OS ROM update 1.0. I insert my Mac OS 8.1 install cd and create a new drive and start SheepShaver. The window comes up and I can see the machine starting to boot. However, when the smiling Mac face first comes up, the SheepShaver window instantly closes, and I get a message in the console that tells me that an illegal instruction has been performed. I have been wondering if the problem is just that it won't work with my 8.1 cd. I do have a 9.2 cd, and but a 9.0. I have found a place I could buy 9.0, but don't want to do so unless there is a pretty good chance that that will make it so that I can run SheepShaver. Has anyone else had this problem and been able to fix it? Thanks!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hello,

The rom file you are using only reliably supports Mac OS 8.5 and higher.

Cat_7
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

is there a rom update that can run os 8.1?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Not as far as I know

Cat_7
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

too bad, i don't have 8.5 or 8.6.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I could say:

Just search the internet and find what you need.

But I will not.

Cat_7
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

no, i wish to be legal on this matter. (is taking a rom from an update legal?)
xslaugh
Space Cadet

Post by xslaugh »

Well, I decided to go ahead and buy MacOS 9.0.4. I sure hope it works!
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

PPC_Digger wrote:(is taking a rom from an update legal?)
i ask again.
Trombone Bob
Tinkerer

Post by Trombone Bob »

Yes, Apple posted the software for free download so IMHO as long as you don't give it to anybody else you can use it.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

Trombone Bob wrote:Yes, Apple posted the software for free download so IMHO as long as you don't give it to anybody else you can use it.
why don't give it to anybody else? i just save trouble to anyone who wishes to download it.
dhazeghi
Student Driver

Post by dhazeghi »

FYI, I got OS 8.1 booting with a PowerMac 8500 ROM. I'd guess any standard old world machine should do though.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

is there any way to get a LEGAL rom from the internet that will run os 8.0/8.1?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Alas, No

Cat_7
bonehead
Tinkerer

Post by bonehead »

PPC_Digger wrote:is there any way to get a LEGAL rom from the internet that will run os 8.0/8.1?
No, but for that matter, there is no "legal" way to use ANY mac rom, or OS (save Darwin) on non-Apple hardware. It's strictly against the Apple EULA.

For those that say "yeah, but...", but what? A breach of the EULA is a breach of the EULA, be it running the software on more CPUs than the license was originally purchased for, or running it on a hardware platform the license does not allow.
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

I'm not sure that it's illegal to use the ROM on non-Apple hardware, I think it just means that you lose any chance of support.

That is what I gathered from installing the Mac OS on non-Apple hardware, much in the same way that Dell tell you that you invalidate the warranty on all components of your PC is you install a single piece of non-Dell hardware in it.
Once you've made something idiot proof, they go and invent a better idiot!
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

I concider it "fair use" to install and use an Apple OS I bought for $100+ on whatever I choose to install it on. Apple make their licenses too restictive so clone hardware makers can't prosper. What gives them the right to add the "Apple-only" part to their EULA?
bonehead
Tinkerer

Post by bonehead »

robojam wrote:I'm not sure that it's illegal to use the ROM on non-Apple hardware, I think it just means that you lose any chance of support.
No, actually, to breach the Apple EULA means to forfeit your use of it, meaning that using the software after you lost your right to the license is the same as piracy. When you "purchase" software, you are purchasing the license to use it, not the actual software. I'm not saying I agree with Apple's restrictive policy, but, it is what it is.
Mac Emu wrote:I concider it "fair use" (...) Apple make their licenses too restictive so clone hardware makers can't prosper. What gives them the right (...)
I agree that their licenses are far to restrictive... So are Microsofts (in other ways), but that doesn't mean I can use the software as I see fit, even though I plonked down a good bit of cash for it. If you don't agree with the license, your only LEGAL recourse is to not purchase the software, ask for a written exemption, or test the policy in court.

Simply deciding that it's "fair use" and using it as you wish, breaching the EULA, is not a legal option, and kind of defeats the purpose of paying for the software in the first place.

In the case of ROMs, it is perfectly within Apples rights to limit use of them to Apple only hardware. If they didn't, it would be nothing for another PPC PC maker to take those ROMs and use them without paying a dime to apple, since Apple makes them freely available on their website. The only people that can legally download and use those ROM updates are the owners of the applicable >>APPLE<< hardware. You got your license to use those ROM updates on your Mac when you purchased your Mac.

If you don't own a Mac, you don't have a license to use those ROMs. If you do own a Mac, you don't have a license to use those ROMs on anything but the hardware they were licensed to. Unfortunately, there is no gray area.
Last edited by bonehead on Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

i have seen a petition for apple to make os 8.1 free, and i hope it will cause them to, so i can emulate os 8.1 in basilisk ii freely.
i also hope that someone will make an open-source/freeware mac-ii-compatible rom so os 7.5.5 emulation will be completely free.
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

robojam wrote:I concider it "fair use" (...) Apple make their licenses too restictive so clone hardware makers can't prosper. What gives them the right (...)
Err...that wasn't me.
Once you've made something idiot proof, they go and invent a better idiot!
bonehead
Tinkerer

Post by bonehead »

robojam wrote:Err...that wasn't me.
Well, that's what a copy-past mistake will get ya... Sorry... it was "MacEmu".

... But, I bet you thought it! :wink: ...
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

PPC_Digger wrote:i have seen a petition for apple to make os 8.1 free, and i hope it will cause them to, so i can emulate os 8.1 in basilisk ii freely.
i also hope that someone will make an open-source/freeware mac-ii-compatible rom so os 7.5.5 emulation will be completely free.
what about that?
bonehead
Tinkerer

Post by bonehead »

PPC_Digger wrote:i have seen a petition for apple to make os 8.1 free, and i hope it will cause them to, so i can emulate os 8.1 in basilisk ii freely.
It would still be illegal to use it on Basilisk II, as would be the use of any Apple ROM. A better petition would be to ask Apple to remove the "Apple Computer" restriction from the EULA of their OS.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

they have a "apple computer" section in os 7.5?
bonehead
Tinkerer

Post by bonehead »

PPC_Digger wrote:they have a "apple computer" section in os 7.5?
Yes... At least the last time I read it they did.