SheepShaver Windows Executable

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

gb
Real Swell Guy!

Post by gb »

If you are using Win98, that means the check for Windows >= NT4 failed. SheepShaver for Windows will only run on NT4+ kernels. Preferably Windows XP, since I don't have other OSes handy.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

BTW: Gwenole has also said that SheepShaver requires a P6 family processor or higher due to needing CMOV instructions. So no Mac OS 8.5+ on a Pentium. :lol:
michelmichelon
Space Cadet

SheepShaver Executable

Post by michelmichelon »

Hello,

tank you... I can install WinXP in my computer...

Michel... 8)
Yoshinator
Space Cadet

Post by Yoshinator »

Thanks to GB for this update. I could never get SheepShaver to run under colinux even though I successfully learned how to compile it correctly. Learning to do that right is a daunting task for a Linux noob such as myself.

This new windows version runs, though it's highly unstable. I find myself having to count to 3 before clicking again. Any faster clicking and it can crash.

I know this is only the second build, but so far, it's great.

I want to ask.

Is there hope for improvement from GB? Or is the improvement based upon other parties developement?
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

So why doesn't it work in Windows 4?
DualC
Student Driver

Post by DualC »

Hey, will the Windows Exe support MacOS 8 like.. the Linux Exe do. ?

/M
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

It supports Mac OS 8.5 through to 9.04, I understand
DualC
Student Driver

Post by DualC »

Marc wrote:It supports Mac OS 8.5 through to 9.04, I understand
To bad, cose i only got 8.0 .. and it works perfektly in Linux.. :(
ataxy
Master Emulator

Post by ataxy »

well you dont need sheepshaver to run 8.0 just use basillisk
Neospy
Mac Mechanic

Post by Neospy »

Marc wrote:It supports Mac OS 8.5 through to 9.04, I understand
No! You can run 7.5 on it... Any MacOS PPC compatible will run except OSX and 9.2.2, 9.2.1, 9.1. I am Installing 7.5.3 w/o JIT (sloooow..... but very stable) I will tell you how it goes.

>Neospy 8)

EDIT: Sorry, 7.5.3 does the happy mac and the "Welcome to Macintosh". What's the problem???
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

I think it is just a bug with the Windows version

Hopefully gb will sort it out soon enough :)
sal54
Space Cadet

No Boot

Post by sal54 »

Hi there

Am new to this forum, a merry Christmas to all first!! :D I have been trying real hard to make SheepShaver work in Windows but zilch! I got the executable, then i saved my PowerMac 7300 rom and transferred it to Windows (4MB), the darn thing was not good.. I then followed the procedure to extract the rom from the 8.5 CD. That went OK. I got no error messages, i got all Mac OS'es from 7.5.3 upwards, i tried them all, i even compared my prefs file to other people's from this forum, i even tried booting with Yellow Dog, plus tried even the BeOS... No results. I first thought it would take some time to boot. But waiting more than 4 hours, is more than enough. I only get a black window, no errors, no smiling Aaron, no nothing. It isn't a matter of horsepower if you suspect that. (P4 @ 2.8 512 MB RAM) Anyclue as to what goes on? The machine isn't frozen. It just sits like waiting for something. I even tried a pre-formatted .hfv image from my Basilisk setup just in case it would boot, but no result.. :cry:
Thanks in advance
Trombone Bob
Tinkerer

Post by Trombone Bob »

If I read the forum correctly, SheepShaver for Windows only supports new world roms. GB has removed support for the Old World ones. This means that you can only use Mac OS 8.5-9.0.2 with SheepShaver. However under the linux side it seems that old world roms are still supported
sal54
Space Cadet

no boot continues...

Post by sal54 »

Well, maybe i'm not getting this clear to you: as i said, my PM 7300 rom did not work, thus, i used the one from the 8.5 CD as described in the guide. That didn't give me any errors. And as i stated, i tried all the OS'es i got 7.5.3 upwards, which means i also tried 7.5.5, 8.0, 8.1, 9.0, and so forth, even up to 10.3 Does this cover my attempts? All i'm saying, is why don't i get even a start-up image, say just the smiley Aaron, to let me know something's being read from the CDs.. My Oses are original, the CD-ROM drive seems to be reading something at the start, but the SheepShaver window remains black.. Any idea?
Thanks once again,

Sally
Neospy
Mac Mechanic

Post by Neospy »

I have a question. Why does 9.1 not work?? i mean it works on my PowerMac 5500/250 which is OldWorld. The It installs and doesn't boot and the cd says "This startup disk will not work on this macintosh model"

Why do I only have 8.5, 8, 9.1, 10.2, 10.3!!! I wish I had 9.0.....

>Neospy 8)
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

@sal54:

The rom off the 8.5 cd doesn't work in windows. You need the Mac OS Rom file from the rom update from the apple site to get your video correct.

Best wishes

Cat_7
sal54
Space Cadet

boot problem

Post by sal54 »

Thanks for the detail Cat,
I'll get the update bin, and if it works i'll let you know. Hope that's all thats left to it...
templest
Tinkerer

Post by templest »

Cat_7 wrote:@sal54:

The rom off the 8.5 cd doesn't work in windows. You need the Mac OS Rom file from the rom update from the apple site to get your video correct.

Best wishes

Cat_7
Does the ROM For MoL work? That's the one I'm using. :?
EDIT: I mean does it work for other people, because it doesn't for me.
ataxy
Master Emulator

Post by ataxy »

yes from what i heard its working
sal54
Space Cadet

Post by sal54 »

It finally was the ROM version. As Cat said, the one from the Apple site was the one that worked in Windows..
That said, i easily installed the 8.5 OS, which took about 10 minutes to finish, and off i went. I now seem to have another problem. For the first couple of times, the emulator worked fine. Now, if i don't turn the extensions off at startup, i get to a point where i get a Visual C++ Runtime Error and the emulator quits :cry: Any idea?
ataxy
Master Emulator

Post by ataxy »

sal54 wrote:It finally was the ROM version. As Cat said, the one from the Apple site was the one that worked in Windows..
That said, i easily installed the 8.5 OS, which took about 10 minutes to finish, and off i went. I now seem to have another problem. For the first couple of times, the emulator worked fine. Now, if i don't turn the extensions off at startup, i get to a point where i get a Visual C++ Runtime Error and the emulator quits :cry: Any idea?
post your current config:
sal54
Space Cadet

Post by sal54 »

H, what is it exactly you mean by current config? Would you mean the prefs file, or the hardware setup of my PC?
if prefs is what you want, here goes:
extfs
disk Boot.hfv
rom Mac OS.rom
windowmodes 3
screenmodes 63
seriala FILE
serialb FILE
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 65554432
frameskip 8
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet true
nosound false
nogui true
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
jit false
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
idlewait true
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
enableextfs false
debugextfs false
cdrom g:\
ignoresegv true
extdrives CDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
pollmedia true

if hardware is what you mean, it's a P4 @ 2.8Ghz with 512 RAM, the hard disk is a 500 MB file, and the current OS is 8.5 Anything else?

Thanks again,

Sally
sal54
Space Cadet

Post by sal54 »

Hi there,
Quite some time without posts.. Well, SheepShaver has been running now the last few days, it appears experimenting with the settings in the _prefs script gives various results. The last thing i recall is trying the jit false jit true switch, which actually changed the emulator's behaviour. The program isn't very stable, but when it runs, it is quite sat.
What i am trying to do now is use Toast to burn CD's has anyone managed? I suspect this has to do with SCSI drives, so if anyone has a SCSI CD-R let us know..

Sally
ExSlyder
Space Cadet

How to fix SOME of the major instabilities

Post by ExSlyder »

I found that if you use the sheepshaver and have a lot of instability, just enable normal JIT but disable JIT 68k emulation, while it does slow it down some, it's 1000% more stable, I've been able to play a bunch of my old mac games on it (Might & Magic III, and other games), not the 30 seconds or 2-3 clicks that I tend to see a lot of messages about locking it up. While it's not perfect, it's MUCH more usable. Now all we need to do is incorporate networking into the Windows version, and possibly use the sound driver from SS for PearPC. :)