SheepShaver Installation and User Guides

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: SheepShaver Installation and User Guides

Post by emendelson »

[Edit: Deleted message that became irrelevant before I posted it.]
Last edited by emendelson on Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

podolsky wrote:All is fine again. So, what are the constraints in changing the Prefs? I feel now that I just cannot mess them at all for fear of causing me to have re-config everything.
Well, normally there is no need to fear changing preferences settings as long as you do not do something stupid (sorry :wink: ) like entering a negative value for ram size.

Apparently you still had a (different) problem after correcting the ram size setting (this time a floppy icon with question mark). Do you know why SheepShaver could not find the system volume then?

If you cannot access preferences settings in SheepShaver itself, like when you are in full-screen mode or when SheepShaver keeps crashing at launch, you can use the stand-alone prefs editor (also mentioned in the setup guide). The stand-alone editor is older, has a slightly different interface, and does not have all the settings that the built-in editor has, but it can help to get out of such situations.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... rPrefs.zip
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
kingpin
Space Cadet

Post by kingpin »

Can someone review this sometimes my unix disk does not show up on mac desktop is something wrong? Will usually show up after couple restarts of sheepshaver. Different matter but perhaps related printing is not working in os8.3

disk New.dsk
disk sheepshared/I386/_DEFAULT.PI_
disk macos9
cdrom /dev/poll/cdrom
extfs /Users/precision/Desktop/
screen win/1024/768
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem
serialb /dev/null
rom Mac OS ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 536870912
frameskip 8
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv false
ignoreillegal false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
ether
keycodes false
keycodefile
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv false
idlewait true
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

From your posts in other topics I understand that you run SheepShaver in OSX 10.8, Mountain Lion, now possibly 10.8.3. Better include such information next time.
Different matter but perhaps related printing is not working in os8.3
Are you referring to OSX 10.8.3? All printing options as described in the printing guide work fine here in OSX 10.8.3, without the issues you describe in the other topic. (To be continued in that other topic.)

Comments on your settings:

- Is macos9 a install disk image and did you install MacOS 9 onto "New.dsk"?

- Weird path and image file name for your second disk, but you may have a reason for that.

- Better do not use your Desktop as shared folder (Unix Root). The setup guide advises to create a separate folder. You can create a folder for that purpose on you desktop if you wish.

- Personally I would set the frame rate to a higher value. On a machine that can run Mountain Lion a refresh rate "Dynamic" would be fine.

- Better enable "Ignore Illegal Memory Accesses".
Acridian
Space Cadet

Post by Acridian »

I just wanted to post some information for compiling SheepShaver and BasiliskII on FreeBSD 10.x with clang. It was driving me nuts but after bouncing some ideas off another bsd junkie I finally got it to compile and run.

For SheepShaver, after you cd to the src/Unix directory and run autogen.sh you need to re-run the configure script like this:

./configure --enable-addressing=direct

This will get rid of the error about mapping global memory invalid argument. I left the rest of the default values. Also you can not do the --disable-vosf option like some of the other guides say, SheepShaver will crash every time it starts the PPC emulation.

Now for BasiliskII, after you run the autogen.sh then you must re-run the configure script as such:

./configure --enable-sdl-video --enable-sdl-audio --enable-jit-compiler

If you get an error after you configure and click 'start', then you should try adding --disable-threads to the configure line. Don't forget to make sure you have the sdl1.2 libs.

And that is that, I hope this information helps someone running FreeBSD. I haven't had many crashes with these configures and I don't have to run the program as root.

Enjoy.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Thanks! This line:
./configure --enable-addressing=direct
should be useful for other OSes when compiling using CLANG too. That's a headache that has been preventing compilation on many platforms.

With this reconfiguration, will SheepShaver compile, for example, on OS X 10.7+?
wlockett
Space Cadet

Post by wlockett »

Hi,

I just got SheepShaver working:) I'm using a 2009 MacBook with OSX 10.9.5. I used a CD disk image instead of the real install CD. I got the boot ROM and the MacOS9 boot image from RandomRobot. I used this YouTube video as a walk through:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqgw4z_r2sE

But when I launched SheepShaver, this part didn't happen:

"During startup, the system will encounter the newly created volume and offer to initialize it"

SO I have a volume titled Unix and another titled OS9 but not the third one titled MacOS9HD.

I take it that this is an issue because my system doesn't have a hard drive now:(

My one thought is that I didn't lock the CD disk image (in its "get info" window) before I installed it—the video instructed against following that part of the SheepShaver instructions.

Without having locked the CD disk image, would it mount in OSX? Is that my problem?

Should I just uninstall and start again? Or is there a way I can initialize the volume at this stage?

If what I'm saying makes sense, could someone please help me understand why having the disk image mount in OSX prevented me from getting that prompt—the one asking if I wanted to initialize the newly created volume?

Thanks for your help and for having such an awesome community!
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Start over and follow the instructions exactly and in every detail. If you follow the instructions exactly, they will work correctly.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You can fix this issue without re-installing. As you have SheepShaver running, you can start the preferences editor.
On the volumes tab, create a new volume of 1000Mb and the desired name.
After it is created, you will see it in the Volumes list. Close the preferences editor, shut down Mac OS and restart SheepShaver. The new volume will appear with the question to initialize it.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Note that the redundant robot OS9 boot image is a (limited) installed system, not an install CD image. It should not be locked in the Finder as an install CD image should be.
wlockett
Space Cadet

Post by wlockett »

Thank you!

I'm using SheepShaver for my doctoral research on the history of software.

Just got a file from 1999 running after thinking about it for years.

Your help means a lot.

Sincerely,

Will
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Let us know if you need any first-hand experts on software history :)

I just got OS X 10.0.4 working -- ended up getting a Mini G4, which handles the "missing operating systems" we can't emulate under a modern computer. That means I can now run all Apple-related software from 1978 through 2015! I haven't tried the Public Beta or 9.1/9.2 yet, but I've got 10.5.8PPC running too :)

If I ever get some of that imaginary time to tinker, I'm thinking of running up the same image on SS and the Mini to figure out where some emulation is breaking and what the responses should be. When all else fails, brute force it :)

[edit] Grr... the Mini won't actually *boot* off of OS 9, nor will it boot off of 10.0 or 10PB. Too new I guess :( It's a "Mac mini PowerMac10,1 PowerPC G4 (1.2) with boot ROM 4.8.9f1." Someone will have to attempt this with older hardware if we're going to do it at all.
jameslkight
Space Cadet

Post by jameslkight »

I've attempted to follow the Installation Guide as directed, getting all the way to the point where I am directed to start the SheepShaverGUI. Initially, the GUI did not seem to be able to find the libg****.dll files, so I copied them to the syswow64 and system32 directories. Then I get the following error message:

"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."

I have had this issue with both SheepShaver and Basilisk II. I am currently on a 64bit Windows 10 system (Toshiba laptop) so I would love some guidance as to where to start fixing the issue.

My suspicion is the installation of the gtk setup. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

James
jameslkight
Space Cadet

Post by jameslkight »

Very frustrated. Cannot get SheepshaverGUI to start at all. Continue to get error message as mentioned before. I've tried installing and reinstalling the GTK+ 2 a few times, and so far, no luck. Running 64bit Windows 10. Please, any thoughts?

James
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I'd recommend doing it without the GUI; just edit the text file manually instead. There are lots of sample files on here to guide in the understanding of how they work.
Colonel Blimp
Space Cadet

Post by Colonel Blimp »

In the Mac OS X setup guide, the link for QuickTime 4.1.2 is dead.

The oldest version of QuickTime for the Mac on Apple's web site now appears to be 7.6. I've spent the past couple of hours trying to find version 4.1.2 on the web, to no avail.

Can any of you suggest where to find the QuickTime 4.1.2 Installer?

If it is not available online, would some kind soul be willing to post it?
Colonel Blimp
Space Cadet

Post by Colonel Blimp »

Colonel Blimp wrote:In the Mac OS X setup guide, the link for QuickTime 4.1.2 is dead....

Can any of you suggest where to find the QuickTime 4.1.2 Installer?
Sigh. It only just occurred to me, after beating my head for an hour or two against useless Google and DuckDuckGo, to check out the splendid Macintosh Garden.

QuickTime 4.1.2 is available at this URL:

http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/quicktime-4
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Thanks. I replaced the link in the setup guide.
D88M
Space Cadet

Post by D88M »

Hello i need help and i am not allowed to make a post for some random reason, i just downloaded and tried to install SheepShaver, first it told me that i needed SDL.dll to work, but when i got that now i click on the .exe and it says "The entry point of the SDL_AudioDriverName process in the library of dynamic links SDL.dll cannot be found". I downloaded SheepShaver 2015 version and i have Windos 7 64 bits, what can i do? Thanks
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

This question has been answered here:
https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewt ... 20&t=10359

Best,
Cat_7
thomasjjj
Space Cadet

Post by thomasjjj »

Hi
I downloaded SheepShaver (and the folder) from https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewt ... =20&t=7360 (oct 11th, 2019)
I moved the app into the folder; I downloaded a Mac ROM from macgarden.
But I get

Code: Select all

SheepShaver V2.5 by Christian Bauer and Mar"c" Hellwig
Reading ROM file...
Using SDL/coreaudio audio output
Using SDL_Renderer driver: metal
ERROR: Unsupported ROM type.
I tried many roms (9.0.4, intl or US or other language). I tried the download itself (.dmg or .toast) or I tried to use disk utility to turn the .toast into a cd/dvd image. I always renamed to Mac OS ROM (without extension) and always get those lines above. I have mac Mojave 10.14.6.

What am I missing? thanks in advance!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

It seems you are confusing ROM files and CD-ROM disk image files. Those are totally different kind of files, not even related.

For the ROM file, download the new-world rom file from Redundant Robot. The downloaded .zip file may need to be decompressed if that was nor done automatically by your browser. Then follow the instructions in the setup guide: Rename the file to "Mac OS ROM". Make sure it did not keep a hidden extension. You can check that in Finder Info for the file.

For an install CD-ROM disk image both .dmg and .toast files can be used in SheepShaver. The disk image files do not need to be renamed.
thomasjjj
Space Cadet

Post by thomasjjj »

Thanks for the reply. Everything works properly now.

For info these are the steps I took: I downloaded Mac OS ROM come from Redundant Robot, along with 0S9.img
I ran SheepShaver, saw the floppy disk with a question mark, went to the preferences and followed https://emaculation.com/doku.php/sheeps ... os_x_setup (creating a shared folder as well as a virtual hard drive)
I then realized that OS9 from redundant robot doesn't work so well (it is not an install cd) so I took another version from macgarden. The install was not automatic, I had to look into the cdrom to find the install script. (and not all versions have this install, I had to try a few images, everytime removing disks from the preferences, re-running SS, and repeating the steps) After the installation is done I suggest to remove the disc image from SheepShaver (keep the virtual hard drive "unix")

Side note: the option to "browse" to your shared folder didn't work for me, I had to type in /Users/tjannaud/games/sharedfolder instead of browsing to it

Now going to try some of my old games :)
Thanks guys for supporting this project! I'm really excited!
DanWood
Space Cadet

Post by DanWood »

I'm on Linux Mint, i'm can't install sheep shaver but the deb is deleted.
Kajashey
Space Cadet

Post by Kajashey »

Thank you guys for maintaining Sheepshaver and basilisk and for putting out binaries.

I had a fun stroll down memory lane with Sheepshaver. It was a hard start though. I was following the OSX guide https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... os_x_setup with the latest universal build. It wouldn't start. Eventually I had to name the rom file just "ROM" no quotes. Naming it "Mac OS ROM" like the guide said didn't work. I suggest updating the guide.

Thank you.