Windows - odd keyboard problem

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

ajp
Space Cadet

Windows - odd keyboard problem

Post by ajp »

Keys 3 and 5 don't work! (OS8.6) I've tried setting keyboardtype in prefs 1 through 5 with no effect. All other keys are OK. I have a British keyboard layout, though that shouldn't make any difference?

Obviously they work fine out of the SheepShaver environment. KeyCaps works OK... anyway, it's most odd. I've tried changing the keyboard locale on the Mac too, with no luck. Any ideas?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hello,

Yep, these keys don't work, but I'm shure the keyboard errors are known to the developer. Have you tried entering 3 and 5 through the numeric keypad?

Best wishes,

Cat_7
AZEnigma
Student Driver

Post by AZEnigma »

To get 3 & 5 to work you need to set the following in your prefs:

keycodes true

Then you will need to download the appropriate keycode file from the cvs. Here is a link to the web cvs containing the file:

http://down.physik.uni-mainz.de/cgi-bin ... root=cebix
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hello AZEnigma,

Can you tell us how to handle the keycodes file and prefs file so SheepShaver uses it?

Best wishes

Cat_7
AZEnigma
Student Driver

Post by AZEnigma »

After you download the keycode file from cvs, rename it to BasiliskII_keycodes, drop this in the same folder as your prefs and .exe, add keycodes true, and then launch, you should now have working 3 and 5 keys, this will also allow the option key to work although this still does not work right as windows still trys to intercept it.
ajp
Space Cadet

Post by ajp »

No, didn't work for me at all. :(
AZEnigma
Student Driver

Post by AZEnigma »

Are you sure that you have the "keycodes true" line in your SheepShaver_prefs file? Make sure that you didn't add a new keycodes true line, but leave the original "keycodes false". On the link I posted, did you click on download and then save that file as BasiliskII_keycodes(you have to rename it as the original name is just keycodes) to your sheepshaver directory? If it is still not working post your prefs.
ajp
Space Cadet

Post by ajp »

That was it! Thanks. Now everything is fine. Just waiting for network now :lol: