All 9.0.4 installs not created equal???

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

narly
Space Cadet

All 9.0.4 installs not created equal???

Post by narly »

I picked up a legit set of 9.0.4 CD's to install with SS. SS will boot from the Software Install CD and present the desktop with no problem - however, when I attempt to run OS Install from the CD, I get a Mac error reporting that the install program can't be run on this computer. Tried with extensions on and off - no difference. Config w/ 500Mb HFV, 32Mb RAM, etc. JIT on, JIT off. Same report each time... :-(

CD's are from a G4 Cube - I'm guessing this is my problem???

Assuming that is the problem, is there a particular 9.0.4 install to get that will work with SS for Windows (so that I don't have to spend any more money than necessary to be up and running? Do I need a G3 install or what? Any suggestions and experience is appreciated. Thanks!
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

That sucks.

Check out this page for the answer. You can find the OS 9.0.4 (Universal) CD on several websites.

This site has some cheap Mac Classic and OS X CDs, though I can't vouch for them yet.
narly
Space Cadet

Post by narly »

Well - I'm about to find out! A buck-fifty is a bit much for me...

I should have known the OS CD's were set up that way, but then again, having a one-size-fits-all CD for all applications would make too much sense! It's not enough I suppose to buy a Mac to run the system that you must create specialized CD's to help prevent piracy? Please!

thx -
dkelley
Student Driver

easy way around this problem!

Post by dkelley »

actually I had this problem too. so I took my official 9.04 RESTORE cd, not the installer, but the system restore cd, and opened the configurations folder. in it is a disk image which can be opened on mac os 8.1 and higher (8.0 won't work) using basilisk II or similar. Just copy the contents of that .img file to a blank hardfile and voila -- instant os 9.04 install. Then boot up with extensions disabled (hold down shift key on startup), and once os 9.04 is running run the extensions manager and switch it to the 9.04 base default and reboot.

Done.

At least for me with my os 9.04 install cd's that I bought off ebay for an iMac.
narly
Space Cadet

Post by narly »

@dkelley:

Cool - worked for me! The way I went about it was different though.

I just used HFVExplorer to move the img over to another hfv diskfile, then booted from the Software Install disk (still OS 9.0.4) and mounted the img to copy the specified contents to my intended main 'disk'.

Now - if I can only cancel that OS 9 CD order... hmmmm. Anyone want to buy an OS9 System Install CD?

Thanks ! :-D
lol
Space Cadet

Post by lol »

i trade it for a 8.6 hd img
empy
Student Driver

Post by empy »

I have a g4 software install that has os 9.0.4 on it, but sheep shaver wont let me install it, i guess because its for G4 only
narly
Space Cadet

Post by narly »

@empy:

See above - you can extract the img file from the software RESTORE CD (if you have it) w/ HFVExplorer - copy it on a fresh drive file ~500Mb and boot from the software INSTALL CD. Then, mount the G4 img and copy it's contents over to your target system "drive" (another hfv >=500Mb)

Make sense?

But - the G4 software install Cd is probably reporting that it can't be run on the machine, right? So, like it was for me, that's not an option for installing OS9. It's the version of the emulated Mac that doesn't jive with the CD version that disallows the install - not SheepShaver itself.
empy
Student Driver

Post by empy »

It was the emulated mac that wouldnt let me install it. I booted off the cd but when I ran the install it said this wont run on you mac
pjexposito
Space Cadet

Post by pjexposito »

I've got the same problem...

Can I use some kind of hack to make system believe that it's running into G3 computer?

Or there are some other way to install MacOS 9.0.4 from a G3 install disk?

Thanks
Trombone Bob
Tinkerer

Post by Trombone Bob »

After you boot from the restore cd there is a file on the cd called Mac HD.IMG, its in one of the directorys on the cd. If you mount the img file you can copy all of its contents from the img to your hd file and then your SheepShaver can boot off your hd.
TheBigB
Inquisitive Elf

Post by TheBigB »

even simpler is my system 7.5.1 cd from my performa 6116CD which has all the software in a folder called 'hard disk files'