OS 8.5 Install freezes whilst loading.

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

templest
Tinkerer

OS 8.5 Install freezes whilst loading.

Post by templest »

Er, ok. I have the OS 8.5 install CD, though it keeps freezing at a certain point and won't go any further. I successfully installed it a while ago on the Linux version of SheepShaver, so I don't know why It's not working now. Either way, this is what always happens, (hangs there):
Ideas?
ataxy
Master Emulator

Post by ataxy »

switch jit to false.
the linux version is alot more stable then the win one since it as been worked on alot more this is why you may experience some bug with it
templest
Tinkerer

Post by templest »

Thanks, that did the trick. :)
EDIT: BTW, I have an AMD 2200+, if that matters. :? You know, for bug fixing or, whatever.
DittoBox
Tinkerer

Post by DittoBox »

I managed to get my hands on 8.5, and it does the same with jit enabled...uner linux.
ataxy
Master Emulator

Post by ataxy »

templest wrote:Thanks, that did the trick. :)
EDIT: BTW, I have an AMD 2200+, if that matters. :? You know, for bug fixing or, whatever.
yeah i think the bug is common to people using amd as all those that have been able to go further with the jit enable seemed to have intel cpu
trygvebw
Granny Smith

Post by trygvebw »

ataxy wrote:
templest wrote:Thanks, that did the trick. :)
yeah i think the bug is common to people using amd as all those that have been able to go further with the jit enable seemed to have intel cpu
I have an AMD (2000+), and i'm able to start Mac OS 8.5 with JIT on in Windows.
ataxy
Master Emulator

Post by ataxy »

weird then how come some can and some dont
i wish i could
DittoBox
Tinkerer

Post by DittoBox »

ataxy wrote:weird then how come some can and some dont
i wish i could
Hmm, it happens at the same spot, yet I'm on linux and templest is on windows XP- This is quite odd. I also have an athlon Xp, mine being a 2400+. It's possible that gcc (assumung both are built using gcc, mine is, not sure about windows builds) is calling on a faulty instruction in the athlon XP chips.

Or I'm just full of crap...either way something's not playing nice.