Booting Windows Sheepshaver off a Mac OS 8.6 cd image issue

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

quatchmonkey
Space Cadet

Booting Windows Sheepshaver off a Mac OS 8.6 cd image issue

Post by quatchmonkey »

I am unable to boot off of my cdrom for some unknown reason. If I replace the cdrom variable in my sheepshaver_prefs file, with the name of my Mac OS 8.6 disk image, though, I am able to boot off of it. However once I get to the desktop, I get the error "Sorry the desktop folder on the startup disk could not be created. Try unlocking the disk." and get caught in an endless rebooting loop.
I've tried all manner of hard disk images, creating my own in HFVexplorer, downloading ones off of various websites, but I run into this issue with each one. Has anyone else run into this issue? Any advice for solving it?
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

I had the same problem a while back when I had improperly burned an OS 8.1 CD image. I resolved it by making it bootbale within Toast in Mac OS and it booted fine.

I'd probably try burning the image and use a physical CD.

You can burn HFS CDs in Nero in Windows very well, or probably best to burn the image in toast and be sure to mark it as bootable.

Hope this helps
quatchmonkey
Space Cadet

Physical CD's don't work for me alas..

Post by quatchmonkey »

Unfortunately, the crux of my problem is that I can't boot of a physical cd - I have to use cd images. I ripped the 8.6 image of my physical cd copy using Nero, and then tried using the disk utility in panther, however, neither worked, and I unfortunately don't have access to toast.
linuxfan
Space Cadet

Various factors likely.. more info needed!

Post by linuxfan »

Quatchmonkey,

I know theoretically things are supposed to work... but there are a few details you have omitted that would make solving your problem difficult.

1) What is your configuration? Windows XP/ 2000 K etc?
2) What kind of CDROM is this? Possibly irrelevant but... sometimes hardware could be a culprit... and correpondingly, are you using original MAC OS install CDs or just burned ones? What happens when you try to boot up SheepShaver without the CD? Do you get a flashing ? on a floppy disk image?? Or does it just crash?
3) I think many on this forum have pointed out that you might need to post your Sheepshaver preferences list... just to confirm all the variables are right...
4) Check to ensure your copy has a good working copy of CDENABLE.sys, and perhaps update the SDL.dll file. I know I had problems using a developers and old version of SDL.dll... Getting the one recommended in these forums by Cat_7 worked for me... You might even try to get the new SDL.dll from Sourceforge. Getting a new SDL.dll (to the most current, stable release) has really stabilized my SheepShaver windows version.
5) What type of ROM are you using? Perhaps try to get a different new world ROM... don't really think this is the issue though.

Without really knowing these things, it is very difficult to pin down the exact problem and get your SheepShaver copy working.

Cheers.