Why no new Windows builds???

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

CFran2
Mac Mechanic

Why no new Windows builds???

Post by CFran2 »

Why hasnt there been any new Windows builds since november?? I tried myself to do it with cygwin usin CVS but didnt succeed. but can anyone do it please? and if not then why not??
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Because Gwenole is a Linux developer. He doesn't use Windows. He is very smart.

On the OS Emulation forum, we are "talking" about trying to hire someone to port SheepShaver to Windows and maintaining the port in the future. Too bad Lauri Pesonen is probably busy. :cry:

http://os-emulation.net/basiliskII/pesonen.html
dragonfly
Student Driver

SheepShaver-2.2-20050321.win32.zip

Post by dragonfly »

I found this one today .. from a sticky thread above ..

SheepShaver-2.2-20050321.win32.zip which works nicely on windows .. I installed Mac OS 8.5, with macos8.6.ROM, on windows XP Pro .. where earlier version of SheepShaver failed to install.
CFran2
Mac Mechanic

Post by CFran2 »

wow! a build from yesterday! havent tried it yet, does it work any better than the november 11 build?
dragonfly
Student Driver

Post by dragonfly »

Well, it is the only version (other than BasiliskII with 7.5.5) that worked for me on windows.
Smooth install. No bomb messages.

Official site here .. http://gwenole.beauchesne.free.fr/sheep ... loads.html

From the README in the zip ......

Known bugs and caveats

- Graphics performance is currently suboptimal compared to the
Linux/X11 version where it is up to 4 times faster.

- There is no Ethernet emulation currently available to this
Windows port.

- NewWorld ROMs can only support Macos 8.5 and upwards.
CFran2
Mac Mechanic

Post by CFran2 »

wow! impressive! JIT works impressively well and stably! i still got issues with extensions (some seem to slow down the emulation, can it always have to do with a wallpaper? i got lots of them extensions on and all that cuz im runnin SheepShaver of a disk image of my Performa 6200 which was runnin on Mac OS 8.5.1) and also i have no sound... i wonder why.
CFran2
Mac Mechanic

Post by CFran2 »

by the way um... well as for sound problems, weirdly sound works when extensions are off since i selected the output in the sound control panel, but now with extensions on it crashes as soon as i click the apple menu (as it has to do a sound i guess) and in stderr.txt i have some error with some address... well, i guess there's a few extensions that are better off when using sheepshaver, anyone knows which should be off?
CFran2
Mac Mechanic

Post by CFran2 »

ok nvm, there was some conflicting sound extension/control panel. didnt make my old computer crash tho, well, i guess it cant be compared
dragonfly
Student Driver

Post by dragonfly »

Have you tried Conflict Catcher?
I have an old version (Quadra) and it helps in troubleshooting extensions.
CFran2
Mac Mechanic

Post by CFran2 »

oh yeah i remember that, i should look for it. by the way, have u tried reading a cd in it? whenever i put a mac cd in it asks for formating it... anyways, there's still lots of bugs in sheepshaver (like the impossibility of opening Netscape Communicator), but now its useable