Os 9: what cdroms will work?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

scothiam
Space Cadet

Os 9: what cdroms will work?

Post by scothiam »

Hey!
I just tried installing OS 9.0.4 from a grey G4 disc, booted fine but would not let me install... Tried everything including booting with extensions off.... I was wondering if there was a rule of thumb for figuring out what Cd's will work... I'm checking ebay and don't want to buy a disk that won't work...
I've been told the white install disks work, any others? (g3, g3powerbook, imac, emac....)
oh, looking for OS 8.5 - 9.04

Thanks a bundle, cheers
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

if you're using the rom, extracted from the firmware upgrade @ apple's support website, it'll only support 8.5-9.0.4. I think that rom isn't machine specific, hence the less than 4mb size. Since that's the case, it probably doesn't have the needed information to identify itself as a specific macintosh model to the OEM installer, which you have. To fix that, you'd need an original, Full-Install MacOS 8.5-9.0.4 CD, that is NOT machine specific.

There are places that sell those older versions of the MacOS but at an insanely high price. Your best bet would be eBay, or a Mac Repair shop... i don't trust eBay so i prefer the latter.
scothiam
Space Cadet

thanks!

Post by scothiam »

I've been going thru all the forums here looking for info and found some other posts that are relevant and helpfull, http://www.emaculation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2432

Yeah, i was using the rom from apple, ;)
Thanks!!
scothiam
Space Cadet

it works!!!!

Post by scothiam »

I used the advice/instructions from the post/link in my previous note and it worked with my G4 grey OS 9.0.4 restore disk. I used the Rom from apples website (update), the rom from my cd's did not work.
I should note that I copied the files to a 1gig disk, but SS would not boot from this drive. I had to have a 500mb blank drive selected in the first HD slot, with the 1gig(with the os files) in the second slot... didn't need to boot from the install cd even... didn't need to run extensions manager, booted fine with extensions... weird, but it works :)

Thanks to all for filling these forums with priceless info!!! Good luck!
scothiam
Space Cadet

works fine now

Post by scothiam »

I'm not sure why that worked the way it did, but SS will now boot from one drive with the files pulled from the Grey G4 os 9.0.4 disk. cheers.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

I bought Mac OS 8.5 for $14.01 (USD) including S&H on eBay.

Later, I got a retail Mac OS 9.0.4 CD for free*.

*The CD was not mentioned in the auction for my "new" PowerMac 7500 w\G3 400 MHz.
trygvebw
Granny Smith

Post by trygvebw »

Does anybody know what's stopping 9.2 CD's from working?
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Gwenolé could explain better, but one reason is that SheepShaver does not implement the MMU of a Power Mac, which Mac OS 9.1+ require to run. Implementing would take A LOT of work and would massively slow down the emulation.

Even Basilisk II doesn't have an MMU, thus why it can't run any 68k Linux\BSD\AUX distro.

I think he also mentioned something about the ROM architecture required for OS 9.1+ being a problem.
trygvebw
Granny Smith

Post by trygvebw »

Ahhh... Thanks for the explanation! :)