How to install the OS

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Abdul Mati
Space Cadet

How to install the OS

Post by Abdul Mati »

Greetings,

I compiled the SheepShaver-Source with no problems - using Debian. I use the ROM File from an original Software-Install CD from my iMac, Version 8.6 - everything seems fine. But the emulator needs a installation of MacOS now - emulating a computer without OS isn't any fun. SheepShaver is ready to boot the OS now, it shows the same screen every oldfashion Mac displays if he can't find his OS:

Here my problem begins: How can I install it? The problem is that I can't succeed in mounting the installtion CD under Linux. It seems to be HFS/HFS+ filesystem. How can I access the data on the CD?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

If things are well, sheepshaver just reads your cdrom. No need to mount it in Linux.

Is your cd bootable?

And post your .sheepshaver_prefs file, please

If you just want to access the cd, load the hfs module and mount the cd with: mount -t hfs /dev/cdrom /mnt/"your hfs mount directory"

Cat_7
Abdul Mati
Space Cadet

Post by Abdul Mati »

The CD should be bootable - when I insert it into the Mac and hold down the 'c' button it boots up from CD.

Here's my config:

Code: Select all

disk /home/andi/Work/SheepShaver/SheepShaver-2.2/src/Unix/firstvolume
extfs /
windowmodes 1
screenmodes 0
seriala /dev/ttyS0
serialb /dev/ttyS1
rom /home/andi/Work/MacOSROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 134217728
frameskip 1
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
ether eth1
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
Maybe it got something to do with this entry?

bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0

I changed 'bootdrive 0' to 'bootdrive 1' and SheepShaver changed the 'bootdriver 0' to 'bootdriver -61' automatically - but that makes no difference.

I still can't mount the CD - got the hfslibs installed, mount gives back a message that the requested media is not a 'blockoriented device' - like it is expecting a harddisk or something? :?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

You don't have to mount the cd.

It seems you config is OK. What results are you getting when changing the boot device in the GUI? Set it to boot from "any"

Cat_7
Abdul Mati
Space Cadet

Post by Abdul Mati »

Same result ... :cry:

I also tried to access a Image-File of the Install-CD (*.img) as Startup-Device, no result.