Application Installation Issue

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Ronald Mac
Student Driver

Application Installation Issue

Post by Ronald Mac »

Ok, I have another one for ya :oops:

But i promise I'll leave you in piece after this one! :wink:

Im trying to install a couple of appz in Sheepshaver / OS 8.5. I keep getting the same message:

'The document "MetaSynth 2.6" could not be opened because the application program that created it could not be found.

Could not find a translation extension with appropriate translators'

I have no clue what it is talking about - does this usually happen? I have two PPC Mac programs that I need to install, but both give me the same message.

???
The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

Post by The Balance Of Judgement »

If the file you are opening is supposed to be an actual application you can run, it's damaged and the Mac doesn't recognize it as such. Try re-downloading or transfering it.

If it's a document, make sure the application you need to open it is installed. If it is and still gives you troubles, drop the document onto the application icon and that usually will solve everything.
Ronald Mac
Student Driver

Post by Ronald Mac »

It seems Im having the same troubles in both Sheepshaver and Basilisk with a variety of files. One thing, I have been unpacking them using Stuffit in Windows, and these are the files that arent being recognised. I reckon if I put the 'sit' and 'hqx' files into Sheepshaver and try expanding them there then I might have some better luck.

Thanks!
Ronald Mac
Student Driver

Post by Ronald Mac »

It seems Im having the same troubles in both Sheepshaver and Basilisk with a variety of files. One thing, I have been unpacking them using Stuffit in Windows, and these are the files that arent being recognised. I reckon if I put the 'sit' and 'hqx' files into Sheepshaver and try expanding them there then I might have some better luck.

Thanks!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yep,

Stuff-it for windows does NOT preserve the essential file properties for the mac to recognize them for what they are. use stuff-it on the mac side, and your application problems should be over.

Cat_7
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

Another way is using something like HFVexplorer or Transmac, which decodes it directly to the mac hd image while preserving all the data.