CoLinux

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

kaziorvb2
Student Driver

CoLinux

Post by kaziorvb2 »

I wanna emulate Linux under WinXP. I've heard that you used CoLinux before Win32 version of SS. Now I wanna do it too because of stability and speed (Win32 is so buggy :S). It's hard for me to configure it. I'm downloading Knoppix 3 LiveCD. Can you help me with it? Eg. configuration files, TODO, links etc.

Thank you
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

First of all, congratulations on the will to switch to Linux.
Second, Knoppix does not require CoLinux, or even Windows to run. To run it, simply burn it, put it in your primary CD drive and reboot. That's the original purpose of Knoppix: to provide new Linux users with the ability to see Linux for themselves before they install it.
Good luck and congratulations again.
kaziorvb2
Student Driver

i got linux

Post by kaziorvb2 »

My fav OS is Mac OS. I love Macintoshes, but when I wanted to start programming and doing some other that I couldn't do on Macintosh, I've bought PC. I'm 13 yrs old ;p and I've experienced Mac OS very much. I "fell in love with Macintosh" at the first moment ;]. It is amazing that I knew Macintosh, because I live in Poland - small country, where Macintosh was known very low (sorry for my ENGRISH ;p). I had Macintosh SE with 7.5.5, 4MB RAM, 16MHz (with Mobius Accelerator) and disk 80MB. Next I had Quadra 950, 33MHz, 1GB disk, 128MB RAM ;], Mac OS 8.1. Then I've switched to PC :S. When I found Basilisk I "fell in love with emulating Macintosh". I loved two thing at the moment ;] and I'm loving up to now. When I found SheepShaver It was only for Linux, so I've installed it (I had Mandrake 9.1). It worked well, but buggy. When I got to format my disk I've erased it. Then I didn't want to install it (so much time and problem with loader MILO). Some time later I've found SS for Windows and installed it. It's working well but buggy :S. Then I've found Emaculation - GREAT FORUM! YEAH YEAH YEAH!!!!!! and heard that before Win32 SS the Linux SS was corrected and worked better. So I've thought that if I download Linux CD IMAGE and use Alcohol 120% to emulate it and emulate Linux under WinXP I'll get good Emu-Station without installing Linux. I like linux since I've seen it first time. This is the reason why I ask for CoLinux.

Sorry for my Engrish - I've not learnt English on any course - only on english OSes, surfing the net, reading forums and at school (very low level of learning languages :( ).

KaziorVB
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Re: i got linux

Post by PPC_Digger »

kaziorvb2 wrote:I "fell in love with Macintosh" at the first moment
Me too. Back in 1st grade.
kaziorvb2 wrote:It is amazing that I knew Macintosh, because I live in Poland - small country, where Macintosh was known very low (sorry for my ENGRISH ;p).
Same here, in Israel.
BTW I'm one quarter Polish. 8)

EDIT: wow we're going off topic here...
kaziorvb2
Student Driver

rpm :(

Post by kaziorvb2 »

Ive dled knoppix and booted, but when i want to unpack rpm under it, error messages appears that can't found some files, ive tried some other rpms and the same errors appears. i think the reason for this problem is this that LiveCD is not "full" version of linux - some files are missing because of size of linux. I'm downloading now 3-cd version of Mandrake Linux 10.1. i think when ill install it there will be no problems. if im wrong - please correct me. also i dont like this linux becouse every time when i run it i must set it from the begin - password etc. and i can't write files on my disks (maybe i can unlock them but it will be next think that ill must do every boot of linux :( )

kaziorvb
conehead
Space Cadet

Mandrake 10.1

Post by conehead »

I am moving Mac OS on SheepShaver on Mandrake 10.1 as my primary mac environment.

It works great, nearly as fast as my old 200 mhz Mac.

-Tom