0S9 won't install.

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

taluego
Space Cadet

i ve the same problem

Post by taluego »

hi to all, the OS 9.0 CD boots ok but i´ve the same problem, i run sheepshaver under debian linux and users a PowerMac 7200 ROM

tnx
xserve
Student Driver

Post by xserve »

Strange, because you are able to enter the MacOS graphical install enviroment, but you can't start the install application. Perhaps you could try a newer SheepShaver build, an other ROM-image or SheepShaver on Linux.
The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

Post by The Balance Of Judgement »

Try the updated ROM files from Apple's update site. Those support Mac OS 9 alot better.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I believe this message is shown when your emulated mac doesn't have the same model id as the machine your software is meant for.

So, you can try a different OS9 version. The "universal" versions are the best to have.

You could search the forum for info on possibly circumventing this limitation.

Cat_7
juglain
Space Cadet

macos is a liar

Post by juglain »

"Strange, because you are able to enter the MacOS graphical install enviroment, but you can't start the install application."

That's what i said to myself...
And finally I install it myself. Because the message say "macos wont install" and I am not MacOs.
Yes yes yes.

So, I try the rescue cd but it didn't work. But you can do manually what the "apple software restore" do automatically:
I mount the disk image (something like *Mac*.img") that is on the cd, with CopyDisk (also on the cd), and i stupidly copied the content of the mounted disk on my disk. And it works magically...

If someone could tell my why, i would be happy, because i don't understand how macos boot: i didn't install any bootsector. Maybe SheepShaver emulate this ? Or HFS partitions include some bootsector ? Or "bootsector" is an archaic concept on a Mac ?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Well, you found the solution with the img file, great!

The mac os installer just checks your model id. If that is not in it's list of supported machines, it quits.

Copying the image file overcomes this check and leaves you with a working machine.

I guess booting is enabled by the boot-rom. I believe SheepShaver emulates some parts of the rom file for starting up.

Cat_7
nf>_
Student Driver

Post by nf>_ »

Thats exactly what happened. OEM install CD's have a machine ID check that verifies it before installing. As you figured out yourself you can circumvent it by copying the contents of the .IMG file in the configurations folder on the CD.

As for booting a classic mac, there isn't much needed other than a valid system folder on a HFS partition. A valid System folder contains a Finder and a System file. Nothing much more is needed to make it boot, actually. The only thing you need to do is to make it "Blessed". You can bless a system folder by opening it in the Finder.

I used to do this a lot in the old days when working with classic macs, before you install anything, you can make a copy of your system folder (put it in the trash if you dont want to boot from it) and you'd always have a valid system around just in case.

There were actually tools for selecting which system you wanted to boot from prior to the revised 9.x Startup control panel, I remember doing similar things in the 7.x days. Aaah, the nice simplicity of the classic Mac OS. I kinda miss that since I've moved on to OS X.
nitsuj98
Space Cadet

Post by nitsuj98 »

I have this same problem when I try to install Mac OS 9. Ive tried copying the disc, but have had no success. maybe someone can give me a step by step guide to getting this installed?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

That will not work. The method described above is about a installed system folder, not about a installation disk.

You can only install a system on SheepShaver (8.5, 8.6, 9.0 or 9.0.4) with an original general system install disk. Install disks that were provided with a new Mac will only install on that specific model, hence the error message that the installer will not run on your computer.

There is a hack that can create a general installer from the model-specific installer, see:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3119

It is often also possible to use a restore CD instead of a install CD, see:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3184

However, when you use one of these methods, the copied system may not be fully compatible with the emulated hardware and some functions may not work properly.