Something interesting about MacOS 8.6 romfile, et al...

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

kikkoman
Master Emulator

Something interesting about MacOS 8.6 romfile, et al...

Post by kikkoman »

Ok, i'm no programmer.... but i know when something is noteworthy when i see it.

There are certain limitations with the MacOS 8.6 rom if you choose to use it.
1) no sound
2) quicktime graphics glitches.... EVEN ON THE DESKTOP BACKGROUND
3) Apple System Profiler and Sonnet's Metronome will FAIL and force SheepShaver to exit.

But if you do an install of Mac OS 8.6 using the extracted rom.... AND THEN switch to a genuine New World PPC Rom image from a -real- PCI PowerMacintosh, then the above issues should be resolved.

1) I got sound from both the system beep and from the Kaleidoscope Control Panel at startup (prior to inputing my serial number)
2) I can now use any desktop background without any graphical glitches whatsoever.
3) System Profiler now works and correctly shows my *cough* Macintosh model correctly and lists it at 100MHz. (though it feels MUCH slower) :P

And another thing.... Copy-Pasting serials to register certain programs will NOT work. I tried registering Kaleidoscope in that fashion and it failed. But upon typing it out, I was able to register it.