Option Key....Windows Key?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

kikkoman
Master Emulator

Option Key....Windows Key?

Post by kikkoman »

Ok, so i'm working in PhotoShop on SheepShaver.... and I tend to make extensive use of the 'Option Key' in the Mac OS, which by default is bound to the "Windows/StartMenu Key" in WindowsXP/SheepShaver....

Is there -ANY- way to prevent the StartMenu from showing up everytime i press the "Option Key" on the Mac OS side?
nf>_
Student Driver

Post by nf>_ »

You could make a custom keyboard layout in Mac OS that maps the option key to another key.

I've done this in the past and it works beautifully. Only, being so many years ago, the knowledge to do so is stacked a bit far in my memory. :mrgreen: I suggest opening one of the keymaps in Resedit.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Option is the Mac equivelent of Alt, so you could map option to alt.

And command (apple logo) is the mac equivelent of the windows key so you could map command to windows.

That's how I'd have it.
nf>_
Student Driver

Post by nf>_ »

I've just checked ResEdit, and editing the modifier keys with it is a no-go. I do remember that I've done something similar back in the day though, since there was a way of switching the alt and the apple keys when you wanted to use a PC keyboard on a mac. I think it was some kind of control panel.
CFran2
Mac Mechanic

Post by CFran2 »

Stephen Coates wrote:Option is the Mac equivelent of Alt, so you could map option to alt.

And command (apple logo) is the mac equivelent of the windows key so you could map command to windows.

That's how I'd have it.
Yeah, but that would only move the problem to the Command key..