Network lost after update 8.5->9->9.0.4

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

comomolo
Space Cadet

Network lost after update 8.5->9->9.0.4

Post by comomolo »

I was happily surfing the internet before upgrading OS 8.5 to OS 9.0.4. I didn't change anything and I don't have a clue of what's happened. I've checked the TCP/IP setup and it's exactly like it was. NAT/Router is being used exactly as before. What might have happened?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

You are running windows, and have mac os setup with DHCP so you automatically should get an IP-address from the NAT/Router?

If so, please try to manually enter an IP-address:
IP: 192.168.0.2 (at least it should be different from your windows IP-address)
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.0.1 (enter your windows IP-address here)
DNS: your windows DNS Entries

Good luck,

Cat_7
comomolo
Space Cadet

Post by comomolo »

Thanks Cat but no, I had it all setup manually. It worked fine with 8.5...
nikkorasu
Space Cadet

Network lost after upgrade: 8.6->9.0->9.0.4

Post by nikkorasu »

I installed OS 8.6 off of a CD just fine. Configured the IP Address manually and was able to browse the internet. I found an older PowerBook CD, which was pretty much Retail OS 9, and installed that. Once installed, all network access ceased. I've tried DHCP, I get no address. I've tried just about everything I could think of.

My next step is to format the drive again and install OS 9 fresh to see if that will work. Not too sure why this happened. And if I try to connect directly with the Basilisk II driver I get a crash and the thing won't boot.

Ideas?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Networking in Windows is a "bit" unstable as you experienced.
With the BasiliskII driver sheepshaver starts 1 out of maybe three times, and even then it tends to crash. For me, Mac OS 8.6 was more stable then 9.0

On his website the developer clearly states he is pretty careless of the windows port as he is a Linux developer, so I guess we should be happy to even have a half decent port. This doesn't make the situation any better, but should at least explain why we have to accept the flaws.

Best wishes
Cat_7
nikkorasu
Space Cadet

Post by nikkorasu »

Well darn... I shouldn't have removed all of the VMWare NAT/Routers... I wonder if those would've worked now. Perhaps I will reinstall VMWare and see if I can use their network connections. Not too sure, but we shall see. I will report back my findings.

Nick
flow
Space Cadet

Post by flow »

you need to install basilisk internet driver for mac os 9.0.4 to connect to internet. the NAT/router way only works for 8.5-8.6 weird?