Moving from SheepShaver to a real Mac

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

CFran2
Mac Mechanic

Moving from SheepShaver to a real Mac

Post by CFran2 »

There is the problem : I'm trying to re-use a Performa 6200 (PPC for those who don't know) and since I got Mac OS 8.6 well installed in SheepShaver, I'd like to move the contents of my .hfv file containing 8.6 to the mac hard disk (which is connected to my PC by IDE) and of course make it be bootable.

How do I do that? Can I just rename my .hfv file to .iso and write to to the hard disk using TransMac?
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Re: Moving from SheepShaver to a real Mac

Post by PPC_Digger »

CFran2 wrote:There is the problem : I'm trying to re-use a Performa 6200 (PPC for those who don't know) and since I got Mac OS 8.6 well installed in SheepShaver, I'd like to move the contents of my .hfv file containing 8.6 to the mac hard disk (which is connected to my PC by IDE) and of course make it be bootable.

How do I do that? Can I just rename my .hfv file to .iso and write to to the hard disk using TransMac?
That would not be a smart thing to do, as the hardware SheepShaver emulates is slightly different from real Macs. I would boot into Linux (use Knoppix if you don't have it installed) and set Mac hard drive to appear in SheepShaver, then simply drag the contents to the real hard drive in Mac OS.