SheepShaver Won't Boot from my MacOS 9 CD

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Jorpho
Master Emulator

SheepShaver Won't Boot from my MacOS 9 CD

Post by Jorpho »

Well, this is frustrating...

I downloaded the new 05/14/06 snapshot of SheepShaver from http://www.gibix.net/dokuwiki/en:projects:sheepshaver . I have a New World ROM that I extracted from the downloadable Apple update, and I have a nice white MacOS 9.0 CD, 691-2386-A, which should boot from any Mac.

I ran the GUI, created a new blank 100 MB HFV image, specified my ROM and CD drive (having alrady copied cdenable.sys appropriately), and set the MacOS RAM size to 64 MB.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a way to stop SheepShaver from simply ejecting the MacOS 9 CD when it starts up. I just keep getting the blinking ? disk, and re-inserting the CD just makes it get ejected again.

I even tried ripping the CD to an ISO image using ISOBuster and specifying the ISO image instead of my CD drive in the SheepShaver GUI. It didn't help.

What am I doing wrong? Is there something known to be broken in this snapshot? I notice that it says on the DC that I have to hold down the C key as the computer starts up, but it a) doesn't seem to help here, b) doesn't seem to be written about by anyone else, and c) seems to be irrelevant since the only other emulated device is an empty hard drive.
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

try inserting the Mac OS 9 CD -before- you launch SheepShaver..... it worked for me.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

I guess I wasn't clear; that was the first thing I tried. The CD just gets ejected.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

What system and OS exactly are you installing on?
And where did you put the cdenable.sys?

Please also paste the contents of your prefs file here.

Best wishes,
Cat_7
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

Bugger alle. It works perfectly now. I guess somewhere along the way I just had to restart my computer. (Using Windows 2000, by the way.)

It still doesn't seem to be able to use the ISO image, but maybe I made that wrong.

By the way, does this version of Sheepshaver not have some sort of "kill" button, or can only Windows Task Manager shut it down without using the Mac OS Shut Down menu item?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Glad to see you got it running.
No, there is no shut down button. The Mac OS shut down procedure also takes care of nicely shutting down the hard disk, thus preventing corruption.

Best wishes,
Cat_7