Sheep Shaver Stalls on Start-up...

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

drchucks
Space Cadet

Sheep Shaver Stalls on Start-up...

Post by drchucks »

I need some help guys. So I downloaded the new sheepshaver 2.3 for OS X (running 10.4.6 G5). I grabbed the ROM file from my Mac OS 8.5 CD and used the included GUI to set up the pref file shown here:

disk /Applications/SheepShaver-2.3/Drives/MacOS
extfs /Applications/SheepShaver-2.3/Shared
screen win/800/600
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala
serialb
rom /Applications/SheepShaver-2.3/OS8.5ROM/Mac OS ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver -62
ramsize 134217728
frameskip 6
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound true
nogui true
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv false
jit false
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
ether slirp
keycodes false
keycodefile /Applications/SheepShaver-2.3/KeyCodes/keycodes.sdl
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv false
idlewait true

I set it to boot from CD (I am using OS 8.5 and is already in system on launch) in the GUI app. When I go to run sheepshaver it comes up with a empty black window and the beach ball just spins. The CD drive doesn't even spin up. I have to force quit every time.

Any thoughts?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I do not know if this is related to your problem, but there is no need to set SheepShaver to boot from CD-ROM, just leave it to boot from "Any". Mount the CD in MacOSX, launch SheepShaverGUI, set it (if not already done so) to boot from "Any" and click the Start button.

(I notice you have sound output disabled, you do not want sound in MacOS?)
drchucks
Space Cadet

Post by drchucks »

I have also tried it set to any and get the same result, and I have no real reason for not having audio enabled, I just want to get it to boot up first.

If you can think of any reason this could be happening please let me know.

thanks in advance.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

To get some diagnostic messages, you could try to start the SheepShaver application from within the package. Right clik SheepShaver, Select Show package content and search for the SheepShaver app with a terminal icon. Start it, and Terminal will tell you what is going on. Please report back.

Did you try to manually set paths in the config file? f.i. /Applications is a directory under your root directory? If not, please try to enter to whole path.

Next, you could try to name the sheepshaver folder and the other folders without "."'s in their names.

Good luck,
Cat_7