Crashes at "Welcome to Mac OS" screen (Tiger 10.4.

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

almeath
Mac Mechanic

Crashes at "Welcome to Mac OS" screen (Tiger 10.4.

Post by almeath »

I configured my installation using the GUI application.

No matter what I configure (default selections or otherwise), I end up with the same 'crash' occuring within about 2 seconds of getting the "Welcome to Mac OS" screen coming up.

I tried an OS 8 image that I successfully use with Basilisk II, as well as an 8.5 Disk Tools boot disk, and both do the same thing.

I have to force-quit out as the sheepshaver app is listed as 'not responding'.

I am using the 1.6 ROM extracted from the MacOS ROM Update 1.0 disk.

Prior SS versions used to crash immediately, so it is reassuring to be at least getting the "Welcome to Mac OS" screen coming up.

It's 'progress' I suppose.

Any suggestions?

==============================================
Date/Time: 2006-07-01 14:36:54.920 +0800
OS Version: 10.4.7 (Build 8J135)
Report Version: 4

Command: SheepShaver
Path: /Users/adammeath/MacOS/SheepShaver.app/Contents/MacOS/SheepShaver
Parent: WindowServer [668]

Version: ??? (2.3)

PID: 2449
Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x40810000
===============================================
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The OS8 image that was used with BasiliskII probably contains a system for 68k Macs rather than PPC Macs if the system on it was installed in BasiliskII. MacOS installation does not install identical systems on different machines.

Exactly what is this "8.5 Disk Tools boot disk" that you use? A 8.5 "Disk Tools Diskette" used to be a floppy disk with minimal system that could be created from an image that was included with MacOS 8.5. SheepShaver does not boot from that Disk Tools image nor from a disk made from it.

To get started with SheepShaver you will need a generic retail system CD, 8.5, 8.6, 9.0 or 9.0.4 (or a bootable copy made from such a CD or an .iso image made from such a CD).
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

Yes, I've been trying with OS 8.1 installed on BasiliskII, so undoubtedly it would have been for 68k Macs. The 8.5 disk is the 'disk tools diskette', which also came with a 68k system.

I think I have a 9.0 installation CD somewhere, so I will try that and let you know how I go.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

almeath wrote:I think I have a 9.0 installation CD somewhere, so I will try that and let you know how I go.
Make sure it is normal retail system CD, not a system CD that was supplied with a new Mac. A CD that is supplied with a new Mac can only be used to install the sytem on that particular model.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

I have successfully booted off a 9.0.4 CD , but this will only work with the actual CD inserted in the drive. I cannot get it to work with an image or mounted copy of the CD. Not sure why...

I still get the 'crash' occuring but it seems to be the SheepShaver GUI that is doing it. Once I force-quit the GUI, the SheepShaver app remains open and appears stable.

I have now used the CD to install a copy of MacOS 9 onto a blank disk image created in disk utility.

Now I cannot get SheepShaver to boot using the HD image. I get the disk & flashing question mark icon.

The "Boot From" menu in the GUI only allows a setting of "CD-ROM" or "Any". I have it set to "Any".
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

Ok, I have resolved the problem I described above by reading Ronald's suggestions from another thread.

I created a disk image in the SheepShaver GUI and this works fine after being formatted to 'MacOS Extended'.

SheepShaver didn't like the image I created using the Disk Utility program.

Anyway, I seem to be fully up and running now.

Thank you for your assistance Ronald. :mrgreen: