Creating disk image larger than 2Gb

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Some may know that I still have my iMac Bondi Blue running D-9.2.2. right now.
Like Ronald said, 31 characters for OS9 finder filenames sounds about right.
A folder can be named e.g. "The quick brown fox jumps over " but "the lazy dog" is not possible.
Still 31 characters were quite an improvement, thinking of the well known 8+3 format. :-)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I wonder...

- The file names without extension, at least of these three files, are well within the 31 character limit.
- Although the files are in a typical Mac image format (pict) and were created and modified in February 2000, they do not have the usual Mac properties of resource fork and file type and creator metadata one would expect with such files.
- The files are packed in a ZIP archive, in MacOS times not a usual archive format unless one would want to archive and later unpack the files to be compatible with a PC/Windows environment.

Could it be that the original files were Mac files without file name extension, that they were processed in a way that would remove the Mac properties of the file and replace the type "PICT" code by a .pct extension, thus making the file names longer then 31 characters? This could happen when transferring the files to a PC environment or while archiving the files into a format that does not preserve the Mac properties of the files.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

This thread has drifted from its original topic. Perhaps the part about filenames could be branched into a new thread, so that we can advise on ways to make those PICT files usable again under OS 9. (Hint: http://www.frederikseiffert.de/filetype/)
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

About the unresponsiveness error: the version you are currently using has some limitations/errors not fixed. One is the error where, after clicking/moving in and out of the sheepshaver window (around 40 times) the input becomes unresponsive.

Best,
Cat_7
haydent
Inquisitive Elf

Post by haydent »

yeah what it was was they didnt have file extensions on my native G4. thanks for the help.

another question though how can i make a multi part archive in os9 ??
haydent
Inquisitive Elf

Post by haydent »

Cat_7 wrote:Hi,

About the unresponsiveness error: the version you are currently using has some limitations/errors not fixed. One is the error where, after clicking/moving in and out of the sheepshaver window (around 40 times) the input becomes unresponsive.

Best,
Cat_7
yes that sounds right, ok thanks for letting me know.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

haydent wrote:another question though how can i make a multi part archive in os9 ??
With this question the thread is moving off topic again. Better start a new topic for this subject.
haydent
Inquisitive Elf

Post by haydent »

ok cool
rogerdox14
Space Cadet

Re:

Post by rogerdox14 »

Cat_7 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:03 pm About the unresponsiveness error: the version you are currently using has some limitations/errors not fixed. One is the error where, after clicking/moving in and out of the sheepshaver window (around 40 times) the input becomes unresponsive.
Aha! OK, that explains the unresponsiveness/lock-up problems I've been having with COI. This comment refers to SheepShaver version 2.3, which is the version that comes bundled inside COI a.k.a. Chubby Bunny, which I've been using (yes, I know, it's not recommended). So that gives me a good reason to go follow the manual on how to migrate my set-up from COI to regular SheepShaver: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=10833.