No Sound

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

EVWeb
Student Driver

No Sound

Post by EVWeb »

I installed Mac OS 9.0.4 in SheepShaver on my new MacBook Pro. It ran fine except when I tried to run the sound control panel, I would get this error message: The application "Sound" could not be opened because "SndHWUtlitiesLib -- AudioNotify" could not be found.

When I replaced Sound with the 9.1 version, it opened, but it didn't have any sound output options, any ideas as to what is causing this?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I do not know if this has anything to do with your sound problem, but you did not actually install MacOS 9.0.4, you copied a (machine specific) system from a restore CD. A regular installation will not install identical systems on all Mac models. To my knowledge only early system versions (up to System 7 ?) and again MacOS 9.1-9.2.2 are in fact identical on all machines.
EVWeb
Student Driver

Post by EVWeb »

Well my G4 Cube only Install works fine on my iMac, and vice versa. So I don't know why it would have problems here all of the sudden.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Maybe the hardware of your Cube and iMac have enough in common for the system to be compatible. Have you looked in System Profiler in MacOS what kind of Mac the OS thinks it is running on? In SheepShaver on my PowerBook G4 the virtual machine poses as a Power Macintosh 9500, machine ID 67, machines that were produced between 1995 and 1997, certainly a different generation than the Cube and iMac. A installer checks the machine ID and it will install the system that it would install on a Power Macintosh 9500.