NWR Image From Mac OS CD

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

NWR Image From Mac OS CD

Post by Mac Emu »

Hello all,

I'm trying to assist someone in setting up SheepShaver on Windows. They don't have access to a running Mac OS system, but do have a Mac OS (8.6?) CD. So while they can't use the NWR image contained inside the SMI available from Apple, I told them to use HFVExplorer to copy the NWR contained in the System Folder of their CD into the Windows file system. They (and I using a Mac OPS 8.5 CD) tried using all five copy methods of HFVExplorer to do this, but none of the resulting ROM images appear to work. I get a black screen that doesn't progress further using the 2.3-Pre Windows release of SheepShaver.

Is there something I'm missing or can others verify this? I usually use the NWR image from Apple so haven't experimented with the NWR on Mac OS CDs recently.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I don't know about SheepShaver for Windows, but with SheepShaver for MacOSX apparently only the ROM file extracted from the "Mac OS ROM Update 1.0" works.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Thanks for the reply Mr. Regensburg.

I also copied the Mac OS ROM file from my Mac OS 8.5 CD using the My Computer of Basilisk II on Windows.

I renamed the file to Mac_OS_ROM.rom and neither SheepShaver for Windows or a CVS build of SheepShaver for Linux were able to use the 1,901,826 bytes ROM image.

I opened both this ROM file and the 1,945,746 bytes one included inside the "Mac OS ROM Update 1.0" (that works with SS) using WordPad, and see the header includes an additional <COMPATIBLE> tag and a different <DESCRIPTION> tag in the Mac OS ROM 1.0 from Apple.

But I also have an file I named MacOS86.rom that I've had for awhile that works. I think I named it that after copying it from a working OS 8.6 System Folder. I'm about to verify that. Update: Hum, unless it's invisible, there is no Mac OS ROM file inside a working 8.6 System Folder.

As it stands, it appears that the Mac OS ROM file copied from a Mac OS 8.5 CD (and Mac OS 8.6 CD) doesn't currently work with SheepShaver for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X ... contrary to the SheepShaver Wiki. But I thought it did work at some point.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi Mac Emu,

At some point it did work, you are right. But for now, we all seem to be running with the apple rom update 1.0 rom.

Will we be seeing more of you around here?

Best wishes
Cat_7
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Perhaps I'll go back and see which Windows build was the last to support NWRs from CD. Thanks.

Yeah, I will be around again more. I've been punished by my parents for months with either time-limited dialup access (one hour a day), or no access at all. Not enough time to do much on my own forum on Delphi. I hope to move out soon and get high speed access.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Cat_7 wrote:At some point it did work, you are right. But for now, we all seem to be running with the apple rom update 1.0 rom.
I tried the Mac OS ROM from the Mac OS 8.6 Update, extracted using TomeViewer, and it works also. Strangely, although present in the update, the ROM file was not installed by the update when I updated 8.5 to 8.6. The ROM file in this update is apparently different from the file on a 8.6 System CD.

The Mac OS 8.6 Update ROM and the Mac OS ROM Update 0.1 ROM differ a few bytes in size, they have creation dates in April and May 1999 respectively, but they may be identical with respect to the functional code. Both indicate at the start:
<COMPATIBLE>
iMac,1 PowerMac1,1 PowerBook1,1
</COMPATIBLE>
<DESCRIPTION>
MacROM for NewWorld.
</DESCRIPTION>