SheepShaver on PPC/osX not enough ram error

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I installed MacOS 8.5 and tried the ROM Updater 1.0, the iMac and the ROM from the 8.5 and 8.6 install CDs without success...
I do not quite understand what you did. Did you first install MacOS 8.5 and then tried different ROM files? The ROM file comes first, without a working ROM file it is not possible to install MacOS in SheepShaver.

- The only ROM file that appears to work with the current SheepShaver 2.3 is the one extracted from the "Mac OS ROM Update 1.0".

- Did you use SheepShaverGUI to set up SheepShaver? I did (on a PowerBook G4 with MacOSX 10.4.7), and my prefs file has more lines.

- You cannot use Startup disk control panel in SheepShaver. The "disk" that is used as startup disk is the first bootable disk (image) in the prefs file. Selecting a startup disk in the control panel will indeed crash SheepShaver.

- Did you do the MacOS 8.5 installation from a general 8.5 install CD using SheepShaver? Or did you copy the System Folder from a different source? If you did copy the system, the system could have a configuration that is not compatible with SheepShaver or there could be settings that are incompatible with SheepShaver.

- Is it a virgin MacOS 8.5 installation, or did you install other software? If you installed other software, there could be extensions installed that are incompatible with SheepShaver.

- Virtual memory is not available in SheepShaver. Applications that need virtual memory cannot be used in SheepShaver.

- You will find detailed instructions for SheepShaver setup here:
http://www.emaculation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3179
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Pete20 wrote:Unfortunately, the game I wanted to run still doesn't work :(
I keep getting that "The application requires 0KByte RAM, but only 53,000KByte are available"
But I guess that's a virtual memory problem?
Could be, I do not know. Sounds like a memory problem, doesn't it. :wink:

Because in SheepShaver no virtual memory is available, I usually set it to use more memory than would normally be necessary on a 'real' Mac.

If you updated MacOS 8.5 to MacOS 8.6, do not forget to use and install "Font Manager Update 1.0". It corrects the one major bug in MacOS 8.6:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60444