Keyspan USB and SheepShaver (MacIntel)

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

jim_witte
Student Driver

Keyspan USB and SheepShaver (MacIntel)

Post by jim_witte »

How can I get the Keyspan USB/Serial Adapter (Twin Serial U-28X) to work with SheepShaver? I assume I need to set the 'serial' path in the prefs to some BSD device - but what..
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

SheepShaver doesn't support USB devices, so I guess you might be out luck here.

Best wishes,
Cat_7
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

Cat_7 wrote:Hi,

SheepShaver doesn't support USB devices, so I guess you might be out luck here.

Best wishes,
Cat_7
Not necessarily. If the host system is *NIX, the USB device will be recognized by the host OS, and a device file will be created for the adapter. The only thing that needs to be done is to check which device file is the right one.

jim_witte, what OS do you run?
jim_witte
Student Driver

Keyspan and Sheepshaver through *uix

Post by jim_witte »

> what OS do you run?

Ahh, I'd forgotten there are *more* uses for SheepShaver tha just replacing Classic that Apple 1) won't give us on MacIntel, and 2) won't give the SheepShaver team internals on the Window Server, FS, etc to make SheepShaver into 'NeoClassic'.. Arrgh!!

I'm running Dawin (MacOSX 10.4.7 Intel), which I supose is BSD (I'm *not* intimately familiar with the *NIX side of MacOSX..). I was thinking this - SheepShaver just passes the serial through to the BSD layer, where it would get translated to the USB adapter there. But I dont know what the BSD port is - although Belkin may have a piece of sample C for doing that..