SheepShaver Prefs Editor for Mac OS X

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

somniferous
Tinkerer

Post by somniferous »

Very nice preference window. What a great addition.
Toad
Space Cadet

Full path of DMG's in prefs Editor

Post by Toad »

The work you guys are doing is greatly appreciated.

I went to setup SS (latest Build). I put the App in my OS X Applications folder, and everything else in a SS folder in documents. Using the Prefs Editor from this location. I was having trouble getting the complete path listed for my DMG's. SS couldn't find them. Through some trial and error I found when I moved the Prefs Editor to the desktop and ran it from there I could enter complete path names to my DMG's and SS would find them. Now everything works great! :wink:
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

For SheepShaver related files (disk images, ROM file, keycodes file, shared folder) that reside with the SheepShaver application in the same folder, no full paths are needed in preferences, just the names suffice.
bamdad
Tinkerer

Post by bamdad »

is there any way i could get the source code for this?

i use basiliskii much more often, and khm.. the prefs app is khm.. annoying. the thing i hate most is that you _have_ to run basilisk to save your settings. i'm not trying to diminish the work of gwenole (or whoever wrote it), but it's uncomfortable to say the least.

so, could someone pleease attach the source code (if i'm not being totally blind and it's already uploaded somewhere)? i'm not much of a programmer, but i promise to share it once it's finished.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The source code is where all the code for BasiliskII and SheepShaver is. For downloading BasiliskII and SheepShaver source code from CVS, see here: http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/en/proje ... /compiling
I do not know which files are all involved in the Prefs Editor, but you will find at least some of it in SheepShaver/src/MacOSX/PrefsEditor

BasiliskII also has a more Mac-like interface that is used in Nigel Pearson's port of BasiliskII:
http://web.netcall.com.au/~pear_compute ... iskII.html
You can also see it in the BasiliskII for MacOSX setup guide here: http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/en/proje ... up#macos_x
There have not been updates for a long time and recent builds (without the interface) perform better and are much more stable.
Files are in BasiliskII/src/MacOSX/Multiple-Windows. However, as I said, it has not been updated for a long time and I doubt BasiliskII can be build with the interface from the current source in Tiger or Leopard. I never tried.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

We are getting off-topic, because this is now about BasiliskII, but you can quickly change settings, if you know what it should look like, by directly opening the prefs file. In Terminal type:

Code: Select all

open ~/.basilisk_ii_prefs
The file will open in TextEdit and much of what you will see is self-explaining. You can edit and save the changes in TextEdit.
bamdad
Tinkerer

Post by bamdad »

thanks, i'll look into it. my goal is to make a standalone prefs editor much like this one for ss and nigel pearson's 'preferences' window. i've never used cvs before, but it's always worth to try. :)

yes, i know about the terminal-approach, though i usually use nano. heck, i had to edit the prefs file manually, because i like to use .iso's of the mac os install disks i have, and with the current prefs editor there's no way to insert the 'cdrom /path/to/cd.iso' part. adding them as disks results in the infamous dialog about having to start from the original media.

anyway, i'll get back to you (in another topic) if i can make some progress. :)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

bamdad wrote:i like to use .iso's of the mac os install disks i have, and with the current prefs editor there's no way to insert the 'cdrom /path/to/cd.iso' part. adding them as disks results in the infamous dialog about having to start from the original media.
If you lock the iso file in Finder Info, you can add it to the volumes list. Because it is now read-only, the image will be accepted as the actual CD.
bamdad
Tinkerer

Post by bamdad »

never figured.. thanks, that'll make things much easier. :)