Future Upgrades to SheepShaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

If months turns to years, then yeah, i'd consider it orphaned. SheepShaver is already great "as-is"..... but just a little more work, a few bug fixes, and perhaps an easier method of installation..... THAT would make SheepShaver shine. (if that were the case, I'd completely dump Basilisk)
Myrd
Granny Smith

Post by Myrd »

Gwenole has committed stuff to CVS as recently as January 18 (!!). So some development is still going on. It just seems he's really anti-social and won't speak to anyone (or someone is eating his emails).
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yes,

I saw them too. These are some optimizations, I guess. But he also mentioned some future developments in the descriptions of those CVS commits. So, we wait and see?

I have mailed him recently, but also did not receive any answer. My prior experience with him, however, does not suggest he is anti-social!

And for OSX users: I have compiled the most recent source successfully. If anyone wants it, just PM me.
(I have had no luck trying to compile for Windows yet)

Best wishes
Cat_7
Myrd
Granny Smith

Post by Myrd »

Christian Bauier just gave me CVS commit access, so I'll be adding and fixing some things too. I've just fixed the file creator / type code byteswapping issues in the Unix Root folder on x86 Macs, and video corruption when switching resolutions. I'll also be adding the OS X Cocoa prefs editor I made to the repository.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Myrd wrote:Christian Bauier just gave me CVS commit access, so I'll be adding and fixing some things too.
The project is moving again. Thank you!
I've just fixed the file creator / type code byteswapping issues in the Unix Root folder on x86 Macs
Will this be solved on PPC Macs as well?
Myrd
Granny Smith

Post by Myrd »

Will this be solved on PPC Macs as well?
I don't believe it was ever an issue on PPC Macs.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Myrd wrote:I don't believe it was ever an issue on PPC Macs.
Oops! :oops:
I did have problems with files loosing those metadata before and since that happened I never again tried using the Unix Root shared folder for files that need the type/creator info. But when I try it now (still with SS 2.3 release build), there appears to be no problem indeed.

There are other problems, though, that are annoying (at least in 2.3):

On PPC Macs (apparently not on Intel Macs) SS 'crashes' at launch but still keeps running. One can simply dismiss the 'unexpectedly quit' dialog, but it is annoying.

Another problem (also in 2.3) that is more than annoying is that in window mode the cursor is not correctly replaced by a MacOS cursor and is not precisely in the right position. This causes visual artifacts in applications that change the appearance of the cursor and it is a problem for instance while working in text because the insertion point will be placed in a different position than you expect. The same(?) problem appears to be solved in latest versions of BasiliskII. The problem does not exist in SS in full screen mode, but (at least on my machine) SS will freeze after a couple of minutes when used in full screen mode.
Binder
Tinkerer

Post by Binder »

The biggest problem I have with SS is after running it for a while I loose mouse and keyboard input. This is very annoying. This is happening on the windows version. I have searched this forum and found others have this problem but no solution. :cry:

Hope to see it fixed soon.
platypus444
Tinkerer

Post by platypus444 »

Ronald, Cat_7, Myrd,

I have received the 22Jan07 version from Cat_7 containing Myrd's fixes and I am really impressed.

I can now launch applications from the Unix disk image in SS, open docs from the Unix image and save them back to the Unix image.

Furthermore, I can set the video settings to 1440 x 968 for my MBP17" which gives me a full depth screen with two narrow strips of OSX desktop down both sides, and the s--l--o--w--d--o--w--n has disappeared.

Wow! I'm impressed. Mac OS 9.04 now runs properly on a IntelMac.

Thank you to all concerned. I gather that the improvements are Intel only ant this stage not Universal.

platypus444
Still enjoying the comet!
jrethorst
Tinkerer

Post by jrethorst »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: in window mode the cursor is not correctly replaced by a MacOS cursor and is not precisely in the right position. This causes visual artifacts in applications that change the appearance of the cursor and it is a problem for instance while working in text because the insertion point will be placed in a different position than you expect.
I get this too. It needs to be fixed.
DrLex
Tinkerer

Post by DrLex »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:in window mode the cursor is not correctly replaced by a MacOS cursor and is not precisely in the right position.
Binder wrote:The biggest problem I have with SS is after running it for a while I loose mouse and keyboard input. This is very annoying. This is happening on the windows version.
These are indeed the two major bugs that 'bug' me too (the keyboard & mouse thing also happens in OS X). If these would be solved, SS would come much closer to perfection. Anyhow, I'm glad to see some new progress!

Edit: the keyboard mostly crashes after returning to SS from another program, but sometimes it actually crashes while working in SS itself. The weird thing is that it crashes gradually, i.e. first a few key and mouse events aren't registered, then more, and eventually none. So if you start noticing this, time to save everything and restart SS while you still can.

Edit 2: I would vote to fix the cursor issue first. I have just clicked 3 times with a text cursor apparently "inside" the SS window, causing the window behind SS to pop in front of it. Aaarghh! The reason was that the actual clicks were just at the left of the window, because I was clicking close to the left edge and the cursor is drawn too much to the right.
Last edited by DrLex on Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MacUser
Tinkerer

More reliable LAN with CVS build

Post by MacUser »

Hello Ronald, Cat_7, Myrd

Is there any chance that the latest CVS build ( OSX intel) is providing a more stable LAN ?
If so I really like to give it a try.

Regards Wim.
filipetolhuizen
Tinkerer

Hardware Acceleration

Post by filipetolhuizen »

In my opinion it runs mainly out of the box when using a newworld rom. Hardware acceleration through QuickDraw 3D and Opengl would be a nice new feature in a future release. What you guys think?
rscaboyke
Student Driver

Post by rscaboyke »

If Gw. Beau. and Bauer Ch. only would put their minds together to make networking in windows as stable as the basilisk II nic driver was and still is! Than Sheep could be considered as a useful working environment !
But my guess, I think those 2 do not like the bill gates OS-ses at all
filipetolhuizen
Tinkerer

I guess it's true

The windows version is know to be slower and more unstable than the others available. Since it emulates a G4 i think it sould be running a lot faster. I have a P4 HT, 1GB of RAM and a GeForce 6800 and I ran Terminal Velocity demo for mac mainly at 3-5 fps with 1024x768 resolution. I think it could take better advantage of available hardware (and yes, I insist on opengl and quickdraw 3d acceleration)
filipetolhuizen
Tinkerer

Almost forgot...

Some applications with own mouse interface (like Worms, Virtual Pool, X-Wing) have strange mouse responses (too sensible followed by a kind of delay). I cannot use these applications as they deppend on mouse use. If there's a fix, please someone tell me so, I'd be glad.