SS for Classic Games

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

imrazor
Space Cadet

SS for Classic Games

Post by imrazor »

I recently downloaded Sheepshaver with the intent of getting a couple of old games working. The games in question are Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (SMAC) and Diablo 1. SMAC locks up the emulator at the main menu. Diablo works better, but still has a critical flaw. Neither cmd-click nor right click works. If I take the default options, I can move the pointer and left click on anything, but I can't right click OR cmd-click, which makes the game very difficult to play. If I choose the "multi-button mouse" option from the main menu, the pointer locks up as soon as I start the game. There problems exist with both MacOS 8.6 and 9.0.4.

Also, there appears to be no right-click support under Sheepshaver.

BTW, the host OS is Mac OS 10.4.8 (Intel.)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I do not know these games, but the equivalent to a right-click in MacOS (and still in MacOSX) is ctrl-click, not cmd-click. And that works fine in my MacOS9 in SheepShaver. I never tried a multi-button mouse, but for it to work in MacOS in SheepShaver, I suppose one needs additional software, if that can be made to work at all. Was there already right-click support in MacOS9 on actual hardware Macs (not meaning Classic environment in MacOSX) without additional drivers? I don't remember.

What do you mean with "main menu"? And where do you see a "multi-button mouse option"? Nothing like that in MacOS9, unless installed separately. Is that an option in the game?
imrazor
Space Cadet

Post by imrazor »

Well, found out that part of the problem appears to be that Sheepshaver is mapping my right-click to my scroll wheel. When I click on the scroll wheel in Sheepshaver, the normal contextual menu pops up. Diablo is a bit schizophrenic for a mac game - the right click is simulated by cmd-click, not ctrl-click. I found that the trick to get Diablo's right click to work under Sheepshaver was to hit <cmd>-<scroll wheel click>. Bizarre, but it works. Thanks for the help.