Login  •  Register

The time is now: Tue May 26, 2020 10:28 pm

Emaculation wiki  •  Delete all board cookies

Print view Previous topic  |  Next topic
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:35 am 
Space Cadet

Hi,

Bought an new Intel imac 20", after reading about Sheepshaver. (I'm determined to continue using WordPerfect.) Downloaded everything, extracted the rom, used the GUI, then the new preferences app ... Everything seems set up to work, and it did work, but only briefly. Sheepshaver now will not launch, and I get a dialog box w/ the message "Cannot obtain appropriate x visual." Any ideas? Your help is much appreciated.

Jon.

Reply with quote Post a reply  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:34 am 
Expert User

Hi,

Have you tried setting a different screen resolution for SheepShaver to use?
Something well known, like 1024x768.

Best wishes,
Cat_7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:36 am 
Space Cadet

Yes,

That worked very well, thanks. The window comes up and the windows inside the OS 8.6 environment (Heretofore "Classic") all open and close quite fast. I just can't wean the Classic off of the install disk. I installed the OS onto the volume, no problem there, but Sheepshaver refuses to run w/out the install disk (blinking question mark inside a disk), and it quits if - from within classic - I use the control panel to choose my Classic HD as the boot disk. (I've tried it with the Classic HD unmounted and mounted in the X Finder, CD-rom disabled, enabled, etc.) I know I'm close ...

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:58 am 
Expert User

You cannot use the Startup Disk control panel in MacOS in SheepShaver, it does not work and trying to use it will crash SheepShaver for MacOSX. The volume (the disk image file) that you want to use as startup disk should be at the top of the volumes list in SheepShaverGUI (or SheepShaverPrefs) and the GUI (or Prefs) should be set for SheepShaver to boot from "Any".

How did you create the disk image? If you created it with Disk Utility on your Intel Mac, the volume cannot be used to boot the emulated PPC Mac. Disk Utility on Intel uses by default a partition scheme that can only be used to boot Intel Macs.

The easiest way is to create the image using SheepShaverGUI or SheepShaverPrefs. When booting from the Install CD, you will be asked to initialize the unknown disk, to name it and to choose a format. Choose 'Mac OS Extended' as format.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:35 pm 
Space Cadet

Okay Ronald,

That was easy (so far).
Thanks. Why "looking for bathroom"??

Best,
Jon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:56 pm 
Expert User

Quote:
"Why "looking for bathroom"??

That is your rank with only three posts. The more posts, the higher the rank. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:32 pm 
Space Cadet

"That is your rank with only three posts."

I figured ... (If I ask a million dumb questions, will my rank climb?)

I got this solely to use Corel WordPerfect, and it works very well within SS. But, what are the chances of printing from within SS?? I have install disks for MAC OS 8.5, and 9.2.2. My printer driver works for 9.1 and up, and Brother does not offer anything older on its download page. I understand SS will not work w/ 9.2??? My solution at this early stage is to save the WP files as rtf's to the unix drive, leave SS, and then open them in Nissus Express (Anything but Word!). I guess I can live w/ this.

More of a worry is copying all of my G3 WP documents into SS. I'm using a portable hard drive to shuttle files between the old G3 and the new IMac. OS X will not mount the Classic HD, and OS 8.5 does not detect my portable hard drive. Further, sharing files seems to be a one way street: OS 8.5 to OS X, but not the other way around. I imagine if I burn the files onto a cd or dvd in X, then SS won't recognize the disk???

Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:08 pm 
Expert User

Hi,

Printing from within SheepShaver will not work.
But you can use the solution you already found, or use the Print to PDF driver to create pdf's and print those in OSX.
http://www.jwwalker.com/pages/pdf.html

The file sharing feature work both ways, but the best thing to do would be to use a separate .dmg to mount in sheepshaver and OSX alternatively.

You can also try this SheepShaver build (if you are on an intel mac) It should repair any file sharing problems with the Unix shared drive:
http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/engels/sheeps ... shaver.zip
(it is a .dmg file, so please change the extension to .dmg)

And, yes, SheepShaver should recognize your cd's (not dvd's I believe) They have to be mounted in OSX first.

Best wishes,
Cat_7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:45 am 
Tinkerer

Jon R wrote:
Bought an new Intel imac 20", after reading about Sheepshaver. I'm determined to continue using WordPerfect . . . But, what are the chances of printing from within SS??

Are you a member of the WordPerfect Mac group at Yahoo? Several people there run WP on Intel with SheepShaver. Your questions, including printing, have been solved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:46 am 
Space Cadet

Everything seems to be working quite well, thanks for the help. ... Some minor font problems, but so what.

I've seen the yahoo group, but haven't joined just yet.

I'll check back in a few months to see if 9.2 is supported!

Best,
Jon.